Thread: Another NCT question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Another NCT question

Long story so bare with me. A guy I know brings his X5 in for the dreaded NCT about 2 weeks ago. Almost a clean bill of health except one thing, a rear suspension ball joint worn. Not too bad on a 12 year old jeep.

I replaced the offending ball joint and put all the eccentric bushes back exactly where they were. Not too bad of a job at all.

Fast forward to today and I get a call. Jeep failed again and the owner is none too happy on the phone. Turns out that it failed on the handbrake effort ( below 16%). After calling the manager out to find out what was going on, it turns out that the handbrake was never checked on the original test and now he is expected to pay for another retest.

My understanding is that if a car fails the test and is retested within 4 weeks (which it was),it's only tested on the failure points. No mention on the original fail sheet that it had failed on the handbrake or that the handbrake test was not accomplished.

My question is, if they find a problem with the rear suspension will they deliberately not do the handbrake force test for fear of an incorrect reading, or did the idiot doing the test just forget.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Another NCT question

My yoke failed on a broken spring and bald tire. Both on the front drivers side wheel so the tester never carried out the brake test till the two problems were sorted and it came back for a retest, presume it's something similar?

Administrator

Would have thought that it would be difficult for the tester 'to forget'
    As far as I know, they are promoted on screen, the whole way through the test. At each station you'd notice them touching the screen before moving onto the next station/set of tests. At a guess, if failed the early checks at that station, the rest arent completed?

BMWHaus Contributor

The other half's car they didn't preform the break test as the hoses were perished,

BMWHaus Contributor

I always thought that the suspension inspection came after the brake test. From my experience they start with the emissions and headlight alighnemnt, then brake and shocks. Then the car goes onto the ramp when they inspect underneath.
    So even if they find a fault in the suspension or brakes the car would have already been through the brake performance station