Just back from a 6 day short break to Germany-Austria. Plan was to do a loop from Munich via the Grossglockner (high Alpine Road in Austria), then over to the lakes in the Salzkammergut region, the Rossfeldstrasse, Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden and back to Munich.

I had a compact class car (BMW 1er or Merc A-Class) reserved with SIXT at Munich Airport. When booking on the site a few weeks ago they offered an M4 and for the 6 days was just short of €1000. It was a special order only so decided to pass on that at that price.

However, when I got there I asked about an upgrade and went a bit mad. She offered a B-Class (Nope), an Audi TT (small hesitation but said no)

and then this...

(hope the link works)

Sweet talked a nice deal so I had to try it.

I’ll have to say, a great cabin design and high quality material which was probably enhanced by the lashings of extra kit. A little bit of a sense of occasion climbing in.

Don’t know what’d be on it as standard but the things I noticed were distronic with active steering, keyless entry, seat memory package with heating/cooling front and rear, front dynamic seats with massaging, rear entertainment, sun protection, night vision, panoramic roof ….I’m sure there was more.

Strange spec for a rental I’d have thought and the assistant said it was €110k retail and just off the delivery truck with 9 km’s on it. First person to stick the rear end in the heated/cooled/massaging/dynamic seat.

Didn’t go over the Grossglocker in the end because the weather was sh1te and the car needed either winter tyres or snow chains. Wasn’t going to start messing about on snowy narrow mountain roads in a spanking new S-Class.

Drove 765 Kms in the 6 days for €80 diesel. Diesel itself was €1.17 in Austria and €1.24 in Germany.

:-)