Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual fault on diagnostic - help!

Unusual fault on diagnostic - help!

The airbag light is on on my 525i

I had it in with Logic Automotive for ABS module repair and the following came up on the diagnostic (no code)

Restraints : Airbag
    "battery positive terminal isolation 1: resistance too high'

Anyone any idea what the fix for this is? Peter at Logic had never seen this fault before

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Unusual fault on diagnostic - help!

This relates to the BST, or Battery Safety Terminal. There is a pyro-technic charge built in to the positive cable that connects to the battery. In the event of an accident the airbag module sends a signal to the BST & the charge explodes cutting the power to the car (the cable breaks with the mini explosion).
    "Resistance too high" probably means the little black cable on the BST is disconnected, you will see a black/yellow connector on this.

When you power on the car the airbag module "checks" all the satellite devices (e.g. Airbags, crash sensors, seat mat, seals belt tensioners & BST). It does this by measuring the resistance in ohms of each of the devices, if it comes back greater than 6ohms from any of these circuits then it will trigger a fault as being present & illuminate the airbag light in the instrument cluster.
    If it is to low it will also trigger an airbag light, eg if someone used a plain piece of wire to bypass the airbag or sensor.
    There also could be a problem with the software version on the repaired module. I hit this issue on a car a few years ago.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

This fault is actually quite common, second only to a broken webbing in the passenger seat (occupancy sensor).

Here is a diagram of the BST:

The fault may be with the igniter capsule too.

Here's the unit that might need replacing:

Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Thanks for your input Rebel Ranter very informative. I guess I need a new BST then. Do you know if they need to be specific to the 525i E39 or will any e39 one do?

BMWHaus Guru

Hi, they are the same part number for most RHD e39 unless they have some really obscure options; 12 42 1 436 885. Part #1 below:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E39-Sedan/Europe/525i-M54/R-A/nov2002/browse/engine_electrical_system/battery_cable/

Price: € 194.60 EUR (on www.carparts-pros.com, add €17 for delivery, plus €5 for PayPal)
    Current Garage:

Thanks ....that's quite expensive . I'll try and pick up a second hand one

^^^ why this forum exists! Nice one Mark!

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

will be nice to change it :hehe!:

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Greenbush
    Thanks ....that's quite expensive . I'll try and pick up a second hand one
    Did be very tempted to try connect up a seat occupancy bypass sensor to the two little black wires. If it doesn't work then you would be buying a replacement unit anyway.
    If it does work just bear in mind that when you crash the battery won't disconnect automatically.
    Current Garage:

It was suggested by BavarianCare on the other forum that I could disconnect and code this out ? Know where I can get this done in Dublin?

I called into to Courtney's and they sat they would need the car for the day to find out exactly what's going on with it. Probably needs that new part but they need to check it themselves

If it's possible to get it coded out I would....have spent a bleedin fortune on her recently so would like to avoid anything else if possible