Thread: E92 xenon light fault

E92 xenon light fault

Lads, any of you every come across this?

An intermittent faily, that will only appear when I turn on the full headlights (never turns up when lights are off or only the dims are on).

Generally what happens is that I turn on the headlights, and I notice the passenger side Xenon flicking on and off 3 times before the error pings on the dash. The Xenon will turn on normally first, and then turn off for about 3 seconds, on for about 3 second’s, off, on, off, on and then will stay on. Once the light turns on for the third time, the error will ping on the dash but all lights will continue to work okay from then on until the lights are turned off. The '!' error always remains present on the dash.

Ignitor? LCM? Control Unit?

BMWHaus Guru

E92 xenon light fault

The fact it's flashing would indicate either an ignitior or control unit. I'd start by swapping over bulbs etc and see what happens. Any signs of moisture in the lamps?

RE: E92 xenon light fault

I have the exact same problem on my E93

Thankfully it's under warranty with BMW.

It's going in on Wednesday to change the LCM as the bulb was replaced already.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    The fact it's flashing would indicate either an ignitior or control unit. I'd start by swapping over bulbs etc and see what happens. Any signs of moisture in the lamps?
    Thanks Conor, will hopefully get a closer look tomorrow myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Weadick

Really interested in how you get on, please keep me posted?

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Thanks Conor, will hopefully get a closer look tomorrow myself.

Really interested in how you get on, please keep me posted?
    Will do.... Hopefully it sorts it...

Now the next challenge is the squeeking when I have my foot on the brake - which seems to go away if I turn off the aircon

Now the next challenge is the squeeking when I have my foot on the brake - which seems to go away if I turn off the aircon

Did you take a look at the clutch on the AC compressor, it usually runs off an aux belt and engages/disengages when you press AC on & off in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by ciars

Did you take a look at the clutch on the AC compressor, it usually runs off an aux belt and engages/disengages when you press AC on & off in the car?
    I was starting to think that - I have 2 years warranty on the car it just took me a while to pin down the source of this random intermittent squeeking

So the quick update is that the light control module didn't fix it either.....

I think it's a fault in the lamp as the angel eye on the faulty side is way brighter than the other side... And the xenon seems duller on the faulty side too...

The source of the squeeking has been found - the fan motor so that's to be replaced under warranty too.

What was to be a 2-3 hour visit turned in to 3 days as the car has a slight occasional misfire so 2 injectors and coil packs were replaced under warranty too... And the motor for the drivers mirror as it would randomly be dipped when I got in to the car...

[hr]
    Just noticed your fault is with full beams - mine is with dipped beam when you turn on the lights with the switch