Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traction Control

Traction Control

Does anyone have an idea what would be causing the traction control to kick in when I go over 75mph?
    This happens even if I'm gradually accelerating. It never happens at lower speeds, only when I go around 75-80mph I kicks in for a few seconds, then it goes off.
    This is on an E39 528i.

Traction Control

Rolling radius perhaps ? What size tyres are you running i had this issue when i was in the middle of a tyre changeover

I was running 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear

I put 265/35/18 on the rear and had the issues you mentioned above it was only when i changed the fronts to 235/40/18 did it all balance back out again, that few mm makes a difference

Traction Control

I've 245/40/17 on the rear and 235/45/17 on the front.

RE: Traction Control

Have you much thread on all four ,enter your tyre size in a rolling radius site and check the difference

Traction Control

I think you could be right about the tyres, I hope so anyway.
    The rear tyres are old with little thread left on them ( just above the legal limit)

BMWHaus Guru

Traction Control

Pretty sure the rear tyre size is wrong, should be 255 rear with a 235 front.

Traction Control

Thanks, since the rear tyres need a change I'll put 255s on instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Traction Control

There should be 255 on the rear Geoff. As they are not the original wheels for the car they might have been fitted to something else bar an E39 hence the different tyres. Hopefully that sorts it out.

RE: Traction Control

As the lads above mentioned thats your problem tolerance on the tcs is +/- 3% them wheels have about 2% difference so in tolerance when you have good rubber on all four but the tolerance is thrown out with the rears being down a good bit more then the fronts

Might be a reason you have 245 on it though maybe it was rubbing ? What wheels are they

BMWHaus Guru

Traction Control

Radial 32's in 17" staggered.