Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: E92 Oil Level

RE: E92 Oil Level

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos

It's a joke, simple as. I think there is a warning light but still pretty shoddy from BMW. For example, if you bleed the cooling system, how the hell do you monitor coolant temps afterwards? Or can you do something similar to the E46 and unlock some hidden obc functions?
    Here's a wiki, although I've not tried it out. Claims it can give coolant temps from hidden menu: http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

BMWHaus Guru

Apparently there's multi stage warnings, so one as soon as the temperature starts to go above the normal level, and a different warning when it gets hotter etc.

I suppose Oil Temperature is a more accurate reading of the actual engine temperature... But you need a water temperature gauge, and a dipstick!!

@[ciars] I was doing a bit of research online and 335s generally run hotter, normal operating temperature is anything between 90 - 120

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Apparently there's multi stage warnings, so one as soon as the temperature starts to go above the normal level, and a different warning when it gets hotter etc.

I suppose Oil Temperature is a more accurate reading of the actual engine temperature... But you need a water temperature gauge, and a dipstick!!

@[ciars] I was doing a bit of research online and 335s generally run hotter, normal operating temperature is anything between 90 - 120
    I'd well believe it, with all them extra ponies! I'm sitting consistently at 95-100. Slightly lower on the M50 with a clear run and slight higher in and around city centre.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ciars

I'd well believe it, with all them extra ponies! I'm sitting consistently at 95-100. Slightly lower on the M50 with a clear run and slight higher in and around city centre.
    Do all e92 models have oil temp guages? Before I changed the oil and filter, i was sitting at 100 towards the end of the journey. However after the service it now sits at 90!

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos

Do all e92 models have oil temp guages? Before I changed the oil and filter, i was sitting at 100 towards the end of the journey. However after the service it now sits at 90!
    Diesel's have L/100km guage - 2L petrols I think also. The 6 pots seem to be the ones that got oil temps there instead.

BMWHaus Guru

I used the temp function to find out the 335d is running cool, never gets above 82 or so.

Replacing both stats at next service in a couple of weeks, main stat should open at 88, there is an egr stat that opens at 72 which seem to be working but might as well replace both while im at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    I used the temp function to find out the 335d is running cool, never gets above 82 or so.

Replacing both stats at next service in a couple of weeks, main stat should open at 88, there is an egr stat that opens at 72 which seem to be working but might as well replace both while im at it.
    How did you get into that menu, was it like its mentioned in my link above? I replaced both of those stats along with a coolant flush on my old 320Cd and it made a huge difference to temps, general idle and fuel economy. Definitely worthwhile.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron

How did you get into that menu, was it like its mentioned in my link above? I replaced both of those stats along with a coolant flush on my old 320Cd and it made a huge difference to temps, general idle and fuel economy. Definitely worthwhile.

Yep, hold down the button on the odometer for like twenty seconds. Navigate to option 19 to unlock the menu, enter in the sum of the last five digits on the vin, then nav to option 7. Bit of a pain to do it, but its better than nothing!

Hopefully it makes a difference, apparently running cold for long periods will kill the dpf too.

Have ordered geniune stats as I've read alot of the aftermarket ones can be faulty.