Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping and Window Tinting Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Wrapping and Window Tinting Questions

I've decided to wrap the window trim on the e92, will be getting the kidney grills done as well so they match.

I'll be getting the rear 3 windows tinted while I'm at it and the question is what percentage do I tint them 18% or 35%? Any pictures of percentages would be great! Is there anything I should know about tints? will they effect any functions on the car (radio signal etc)?

Finally, I was quoted 99 euro to tint the rear 3 windows (special offer) but window trim is 100 euro and grills are 40 euro... Does that sound reasonable?

As always any help/advice will be greatly appreciated

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Wrapping and Window Tinting Questions

Might you get a set of shadow line grills on ebay for the same money? I'd like to see you keep the chrome grills though

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    Might you get a set of shadow line grills on ebay for the same money? I'd like to see you keep the chrome grills though
    You must've forgotten about my OCD everything must match

I had a bit of a look and with postage it works out more expensive and won't be as good a match to the window trim as they would be wrapped in the same vinyl. It's not the same as having 2 sets you can swap around whenever, but think it's the best option for now.

Gotta say I much prefer the chrome grills/slats versus black performance ones. As for tints, go with 35% IMO

BMWHaus Guru

Looks like 35% would be more factory tint whereas 18% would be more "gangsta" tints I wonder which would suit a black car more though? Would 18% look tacky?

I've seen both on black and the darker shade always looked a complete mis match against a shining black car, if that makes sense? The lighter shade always blended in better.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    I've seen both on black and the darker shade always looked a complete mis match against a shining black car, if that makes sense? The lighter shade always blended in better.
    I know what you mean

My head was wrecked trawling through photos of e92s with different % tints, seems silly but I like to do my research and do a job once, I've settled on 35% - I think it'll be the way to go.

BMWHaus Contributor

Wrapping and Window Tinting Questions

I've 20% tint on the golf Peter and 5% on the glanza if you want to take a look your more than welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont forget your windows are already tinted a % already, so be conscious of the final total %. I agree with Ciars, less may be more.

And to further rubberstamp the choice Peter, @gardatraffic (twitter) are actively testing with light meters --> http://rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/NCT/Modified-Vehicles-/

Window Tinting

Excessively tinted windscreens or front side windows present a significant safety hazard for vehicle drivers and their occupants. Visibility is greatly reduced, particularly for night time driving and at times of low light. There are also enforcement issues for An Garda Síochána in regard to driver recognition, the detection of driving offences e.g. holding a mobile phone while driving, and other criminal activity.

If the NCT vehicle inspector deems that the windscreen or front side windows are excessively tinted the level of light transmission of the window will be tested. The glass in the windscreen and front side windows will be required to have a light transmission level of not less than 65% in order to pass the NCT test. Tinting of these windows must not be greater than 35%.Unfortunately the National Car Testing Regulations do not allow for any exemptions in this regard.

Tint films tend to be quite easily removed and replaceable with a compliant film which would block UVA light and meet the requirement of not less than 65% light transmission. There is no limit on the tint level in the rear window and rear side windows.