Thread: Dmf or smd flywheel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Dmf or smd flywheel

Looks like the dmf on my audi its on its last legs , found a few single mass flywheel for peanuts , i know there will be some vibrations , some say it will vibrate very bad , some say there will be no difference
    Opinions ??
    Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

Dmf or smd flywheel

I drove an old Mondeo tdi which had a solid flywheel fitted in place of a DMF. Yes it was a bit rougher but not too bad if you ask me. Good clutch feel.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Dmf or smd flywheel

My old man changed the DMF to SMF on his 2.2TCDi Mondeo, worst decision he ever made. Go with Dual Mass.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

I've been running a solid flywheel on my 318is as a daily for two and a half years now and I wouldn't say there is any extra vibration over the standard dual mass.
    There's more of a shock if you let up the clutch too fast but on normal driving I'd prefer it

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC
    I've been running a solid flywheel on my 318is as a daily for two and a half years now and I wouldn't say there is any extra vibration over the standard dual mass.
    There's more of a shock if you let up the clutch too fast but on normal driving I'd prefer it
    its completely different story .
    the first - its petrol
    the second - same engine has both ,single and double mass flywheels,only with AC has with dual mass,its just for more smooth engine work

audi is diesel ,and its completely different vibrations ,and its made to work with dual mass flywheel

e36 M3 has dual mass one ,with single one ,after some driving ,when gearbox oil got hot , gearbox rattle as fuck ! only becouse of single mass flywheel , even if clutch disc has springs it wont help to make off the stress

BMWHaus Guru

Single mass flywheel rattles like a bag of spanners

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks lads , was hopping that i could go for smd , fechin tdi's , well , dmf is then

BMWHaus Contributor

Went for a dmf after all , no more knocks now , had to use the grinder to take the other one out , bitch of a job