Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protecting freshly painted wheels

Administrator

RE: Protecting freshly painted wheels

Both are very similar in terms of what they are, the preparation for application and the method of application.

I personally have no experience in applying gtechniq C5, but I have seen, Chris who I used to detail cars with, apply it is identical...however, I have read in reviews from people who have used both, that CarPro DLUX is a bit more forgiving. But there probably isnt a whole lot in it.

In terms of durability, both say over a year, provided preparation, application and after care is followed. DLUX has the added benefit of doubling up as a trim dressing, so if you've some left over, you can treat some of the plastics that might fade over time - here it is in action on plastics... clicky!
    The product linked is an earlier version, since updated in 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Both are very similar in terms of what they are, the preparation for application and the method of application.

I personally have no experience in applying gtechniq C5, but I have seen, Chris who I used to detail cars with, apply it is identical...however, I have read in reviews from people who have used both, that CarPro DLUX is a bit more forgiving. But there probably isnt a whole lot in it.

In terms of durability, both say over a year, provided preparation, application and after care is followed. DLUX has the added benefit of doubling up as a trim dressing, so if you've some left over, you can treat some of the plastics that might fade over time - here it is in action on plastics... clicky!
    The product linked is an earlier version, since updated in 2014!
    I've ordered the CarPro Dlux and a few other bits there from your site, thanks a lot for your help.

Administrator

Your welcome and thanks!
    Any other help needed, just shout!

Your welcome and thanks!
    Any other help needed, just shout!
    Received today. Great service.
    Quick question should I be cleaning the wheels before application and if so with what?

Protecting freshly painted wheels

Yes, you need to fully clean the alloy wheels and the tyre wall itself.

I use the following to clean alloys:

Meguiars Super degreaser
    Rinse
    Iron X
    Agitate using wheel woolie
    Rinse
    Meguiars Tyre Cleaner on alloy and tyre wall
    Rinse
    Tar remover for any tar spots
    Rinse thoroughly

If you are to apply any sealant, I would take off the wheel and do the inside rim as well. If the alloys are in bad condition, I may also clay them as well.

You don't need all the above but you should get them as clean as possible first.

There are some good videos on YouTube on cleaning alloy wheels.

PM me if you need any more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator

Assuming you haven't had the wheels on the car post refurbished, they should be fine.

Otherwise, you will need a process as above. Clean, ideally a de-iron and a good rinse and bone dry at minimum.

Assuming you haven't had the wheels on the car post refurbished, they should be fine.

Otherwise, you will need a process as above. Clean, ideally a de-iron and a good rinse and bone dry at minimum.
    No they haven't been on the car yet, there sitting on the coffee table in front of me, herself is going cracked. Sound for the advice everyone. I'm going to start doing them now

Protecting freshly painted wheels

As the wheels are newly painted and haven't seen any road grime, an IPA wipe down should be fine and will prepare the surfaces for protection by removing any oils, dust or contaminants that might have gotten on the wheels from hands, gloves, transport etc

IPA wipe down spray is generally 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol

Sent via my Telegraph machine using morse code

Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo
    As the wheels are newly painted and haven't seen any road grime, an IPA wipe down should be fine and will prepare the surfaces for protection by removing any oils, dust or contaminants that might have gotten on the wheels from hands, gloves, transport etc

IPA wipe down spray is generally 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol

Sent via my Telegraph machine using morse code
    Sound for the advice I happen to have a bottle of ipa there so I'll give it a go first to be safe.