Thread: Diesel tuning boxes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Diesel tuning boxes

Anyone have experience with diesel tuning boxes.not the crap 35 euro stuff like on some sites I mean the 3 or 400 euro ones.been offered a steinbauser box for my Volvo v70 2.4 diesel.supposed to take it from 163 to 193 bhp with more torque.has switch to turn off and on,read reviews and seems good.others seem to cause dash lights to come on..anyway anyone got a tuning box and tell me pros and cons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Diesel tuning boxes

The proper ones are fine. Martin Treacy in Westward fits them to various cars that cannot be remapped such as the Toyota Avensis.

As you say, it's the eBay sh1t that's the bad ones but the proper car specific ones should be fine as long as you buy from someone reputable.

BMWHaus Guru

the eBay cheap ones all they do is trick the temp sensor into thinking its colder outside and therefore needing more diesel. I've had one before and never again imo

BMWHaus Contributor

The one I bought details at 350 sterling.it connects to the injectors individually it can be switched on and off by remote control or by a switch.gonna give it a go.not going to be driving the hole out of the car but nice to have the extra...

Why bother with a generic map? You can get a professional custom map, tuned on a dyno for about the same price. Joe Power in Kildare did mine, recommend.

BMWHaus Contributor

Because the engine is generic.... It's not like it's massively modified or anything.

Have a rapid dimsport box in my 530d and it makes a huge difference. I think westward supply them.

Yes, in theory, but all engines change over time, granted it can be minuscule, but they may not all have identical parameters. Anyway, my point was, if you wished, just as an alternative suggestion, not to dismiss tuning boxes completely or to insult some sensitive folk that may have them :-) , to consider a custom map on a dyno, as in my case, Joe was able to run full diagnostics for exactly my engine and then tweak for what I wanted, eg dont squeeze every last bhp out of it, favour a smooth torque curve, remove the torque limiter in the 1st 3 gears, etc, and it was about the same price.

It worked for me and was a suggestion. Horses for courses.