Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol Stations / Ethanol etc

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Petrol Stations / Ethanol etc

Do all petrol stations have ethanol in their petrol?

Are BMW engines designed to handle a certain percentage of ethanol? If so, which generation?

I've never looked into this properly enough, but my understanding was that Maxol stations had the E5 (5% ethanol) petrol and that ethanol is bad for rubber/seals/fuel pumps/injectors etc so I always avoided Maxol at all cost, but I was stuck yesterday and just got a few litres of it and it's (almost definitely) my imagination, but car ran very well, possibly better than usual?

Does it have any (positive/negative) effects on performance or is it just long term/longevity effects?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Petrol Stations / Ethanol etc

A small amount of ethanol is no real issue, only for older cars. Ethanol content is actually better for performance as it has a higher energy density iirc

Disillusioned with the quality of our fuel and fact that you can't get 98 (which I've always run in my cars when abroad), I've started adding this to my tanks:
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/millers-petrol-power-ecomax-500ml

No idea if it will yield any power/MPG improvements but I'll use a full bottle and then stop using it for a while to see if I can see a difference. With the new injectors/plugs/air filter/additive (and on Avon ZZ5 255/35/19 rears), the traction control is having a harder time than before!

BMWHaus Guru

Have you tried dipetane, Mark?

BMWHaus Contributor

Tried Dipetane in my 530d and I wasn't a fan if I'm honest.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    A small amount of ethanol is no real issue, only for older cars. Ethanol content is actually better for performance as it has a higher energy density iirc

Disillusioned with the quality of our fuel and fact that you can't get 98 (which I've always run in my cars when abroad), I've started adding this to my tanks:
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/millers-petrol-power-ecomax-500ml

No idea if it will yield any power/MPG improvements but I'll use a full bottle and then stop using it for a while to see if I can see a difference. With the new injectors/plugs/air filter/additive (and on Avon ZZ5 255/35/19 rears), the traction control is having a harder time than before!
    LSD time

I tried something similar (millers injector cleaner/octane booster) when I first got the car and I couldn't really tell if it made any difference, I just found it to be a bit smokey so haven't used it since. Will await your feedback on it

Anybody know if it's only Maxol that add ethanol to their fuel?

BMWHaus Guru

FYI has a lower energy density than petrol, but raises the octane rating. its a completely daft idea to blend it with petrol, its in no way 'green' (corn plants use about 3l of methane to produce 1l of ethanol), and the consumer get less bang for their buck!

BMWHaus Contributor

Fuel components in BMW from early 90s on is fine with ethanol I had a e36 323 running on e85 for 6 months and no problems

BMWHaus Contributor

Pretty sure bmw says older cars such as e38, e39, e36, e46 etc can take up to 10% ethanol

BMWHaus Guru

And highest ethanol content in Ireland is 5% is it? So basically nothing to worry about?

My car definitely runs better on Maxol petrol