Thread: NCT Questions??

NCT Questions??

Hi guys, so I just booked my e46 in for the NCT on the 15th and I am wondering if they will pass the car with these small mods, anybody have the same issues/questions?

1. US side markers to the front only
    2. German plates with irl and county
    3. Double impulse hazards

The car will fly through on the mechanical side and everything else but...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, so I will know in advance what to expect.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: NCT Questions??

by law everything should fail ,but all depends on tester ,end of story

BMWHaus Contributor

Mine passed on the plates. .hazards shouldn't be an issue and no idea about the sides

I've seen cars both pass and fail with German plates so there is no consistency. Only a visual retest on them anyway. No idea on the other things though.

BMWHaus Contributor

I cant see why the side markers would fail (once they are yellow or orange), some Volvo's had them from the factory.... As for German plates, they should fail but as mentioned its hit and miss.

BMWHaus Guru

I think the U.S. Sidemarkers should be fine, the indicators should also be fine if they flash between 60 and 120 flashes per minute (flashing type). German plates should be a fail, in the past they were more likely to pass. Then there was some recent internal communication on the plates so more likely to fail. Really depends on the tester, his mood, time of day, how the plantes are aligned, etc.

Have a look at page 45 in the manual:

https://www.ncts.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Thanks for all the feed back on this one guys. So I have had the painful task of reading the manual for the NCT. Thank you to rebel.ranter for the copy of the manual. After reading pages 45 and 46 it clearly states that:

Double impulse hazards (PASS)
    "The presence and operation of ‘four way flashers’ or hazard warning flashers is not a part of the test.
    Where “repeater” indicators are fitted as standard equipment, these must be working."

US Side Markers (PASS)
    "When a side lamp is incorporated in a yellow headlamp, effectively producing a yellow side lamp, this is
    acceptable. In this case, the lamps on both sides of the vehicle must be the same colour."

German Plates (FAIL)
    Given the dimensions and specs required by the NCT diagram on page 9 of the manual, these will fail so I will change back to the original plates for the day just to be safe.

Thanks again guys. :-)

BMWHaus Guru

I can't remember if the indicators are double impulse too on your car. Double check that too.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S