Thread: Heat Function Gone - Wing Mirror

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heat Function Gone - Wing Mirror

Hi all,

I recently lost the heating function in the driver's side wing mirror. The passenger side seems to be working fine but not the driver's side. I noticed it about 4 months ago on cold mornings; the passenger side de-fogged but not the other one.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I didn't do anything that I can remember to cause this but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Dave
    Current: 2016 F82 M4
    Previous: 2013 F30 330d
    Previous: 2007 E92 335i
    Previous: 1999 E46 318i

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Heat Function Gone - Wing Mirror

Was the lense swapped out at all? Sometimes the electrical connection becomes brittle and can snap or crack when the lense is taken out. Might have gone unnoticed!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

RE: Heat Function Gone - Wing Mirror

Hey Paddy

No, nothing on either mirror was ever touched as long as I've had the car. It just stopped working all of a sudden one day. From what I've read online, replacing the glass isn't always going to fix it.

I've seen someone completely smash one of these mirrors by trying to remove it so I haven't gone near it but I'd be fairly confident with DIY if it's something I could do.

RE: Heat Function Gone - Wing Mirror

I turned on the rear demister to get the mirrors going and sure enough, the left one was warm and driver's was stone cold. From a bit of searching, it seems to be down to delamination showing orange rust-like spots around the edges. I will test the passenger side glass on the driver's side tomorrow evening and report back.