Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting an alarm yourself?

Fitting an alarm yourself?

Hi lads,

Just looking for a few opinions regarding fitting an alarm yourself.
    I bought a Clifford alarm in the states and obviously want to get it fitted now.

MDS quoted 120 to fit the new alarm, remove the old unit and program it. Very reasonable for the work involved but I'm wondering if it's something I could reasonably do myself or more so, advice from others who have taken it on.
    I'd like to think I'm fairly handy with electronics as I've built my fair share on CNC machines, but I'm reluctant to take on the alarm as I've heard the adage that an alarm is only as good as the quality of it's install...

BMWHaus Guru

What's the car some are ultra difficult and tapping their multiplex wires causes problems in other areas. Be careful if doing research make sure you get your facts from an Irish or Uk model. Also if it's not an auto don't install the remote start. Absolutely wreckless imo if you do especially if you diy. If it's an E36 and your happy to take it on I'll tell you what and where to tap no prob. Pm me if you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Fitting an alarm yourself?

An alarm is only as good as the person who installs it. Clifford's especially!!

My cousin fits them. Give his a shout

DK Car Systems. Dwayne 0877795666

Thanks a mill for the replies guys.

Lucifer, I'm such a dope, forgot to say that it's an E36. Luckily short of the CANbus there's no multiplexing going on as far as I know.
    For researching and getting info on US cars versus UK/Ireland models, unfortunately I've been bitten by that once or twice before so I'll be doubly sure to check my sources.
    Thanks for the reminder though, far too easy for me to follow a guide on bimmerforums and take it as gospel.
    As for autostart I'm avoiding it like the plague and will hopefully be able to reassign it's button on the remote to something of use. Far too many horror stories and I really don't fancy installing something that bypasses my key chip for the sake of a slightly warmer car in the mornings once or twice a year.

I'll send you a PM now.

JohnC
    Thanks a million for passing on the number. If I get stuck tomorrow (horray for long weekends!) I'll give him a ring.
    With good guidance, properly soldered and heat shrunk joints and a bit of patience I should be able to manage it. If not I'll at least know my limits

BMWHaus Guru

Ok pm on the way will you check if it is negative or positive trigger on the different wires and if you could take a pic of the wiring diagram I'll provide the info. I did it on my own e36. It is impossible to start an ews2 e36 without a leaving a key at the ignition barrell or using some device that pretends to be the key which needs a key hidden in the car somewhere else. Have you checked if an alarm was ever previously installed? If you could check that to and let me know. All info is at your own risk

BMWHaus Guru

Very detailed reply sent to your email.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks again Rich, just getting to your email now.

Glovebox removed along with the Gemel ultrasonic sensors, LED/button harness and siren.
    Car still starts, so happy days on that front!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Verdigris
    Thanks again Rich, just getting to your email now.

Glovebox removed along with the Gemel ultrasonic sensors, LED/button harness and siren.
    Car still starts, so happy days on that front!
    Right let me know if your struggling with anything and I can email ya again.

Will do. Cheers Rich!

As for the original alarm unit connector, I traced each of the 22 pins and discovered that the previous alarm was installed quite badly.
    If I had the remote for it, it would only function as remote central locking as most of the wires didn't lead anywhere.

From the previous installation I managed to salvage +12ve on a fused link, ground, ignition live, left and right indicator circuit taps, lock and unlock

BMWHaus Guru

Good man sounds like you will be fine.