View Poll Results: Which car would you prefer to own?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW 1M

14 50.00%
  • BMW M3 CSL

14 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1M or M3 CSL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

1M or M3 CSL

Both amazing cars from the M division.

Built in limited numbers and sold out in record time when new. The 1M has been likened to the original E30 M3 due to it's manual gearbox and relatively small size. Purists claim that it is not a proper M car due to it being a turbo and not having an engine designed by BMW motorsport. Is it a box of ///M bits or a great car.

Also built in limited numbers but hard to sell when new with buyers finding it hard to justify the 50% price increase over a standard M3, the car now has a cult following and is one of the most sought after M cars by enthusiasts and collectors. Probably one of the best sounding BMW's of all time but with an SMG gearbox that many still claim is "total rubbish".

Which one would you rather have in your garage?

1M or M3 CSL

Ooh thats a mega hard question both outstanding cars but the csl pips it for me , if i couldn't get along with the smg id just fit the manual box

BMWHaus Guru

1M or M3 CSL

If I had to choose between the two and could afford either it would be the CSL for me. The proportions, naturally aspirated engine, carbon bits and of course sound would win it for me. The focus of the product that is the CSL is appealing. Of course if someone handed me a 1M I would not say no. I would like to drive both and see what the real world differences would be like.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: 1M or M3 CSL

Very very tough call. If I'm being honest, I prefer the looks of the 1M..but would still have the CSL.

Administrator

Voted for the CSL, but the 1M would be on the want list too!!

BMWHaus Guru

Neither!

Z4 M Coupe all day long.

Just as focussed drive as the CSL, equally as fast, and no loss of creature comforts. Trades a proper gearbox for the carbon airbox.

The 1M is a poster car and not as fast as any of them. It has one of the slowest Nurburgring lap times of any modern M car.
    I love the styling.
    However it takes all the bits of the E92 M3 and leaves the best bit (the engine) behind.
    The N54 turbo'ed cars never sounded that good either. My M135i (N55) with Performance exhaust sounded much better than a 1M.

What driver aids did the 1M exactly lack????
    AFAIK it had all of them apart from having to change gear yourself.

And for the record the Z4 M Coupe is just as rare as a 1M with regard to worldwide production numbers.

However to answer the actual question, I would pick the 1M as its a much better looking car than the E46 even with the CSL upgrades, in my opinion.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    Neither!

Z4 M Coupe all day long.

What driver aids did the 1M exactly lack????
    AFAIK it had all of them apart from having to change gear yourself.

However to answer the actual question, I would pick the 1M as its a much better looking car than the E46 even with the CSL upgrades, in my opinion.
    The Z4M wasn't on the list

You are quite correct though, the 1M did not lack any driver aids, I have removed that bit.

For me it is a very very close call as I love both cars which is why I put up the poll. If push came to shove, I would have to go with the CSL for no other reason than it just feels a little more special.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB

However it takes all the bits of the E92 M3 and leaves the best bit (the engine) behind.
    Here's a 1M with the proper engine. Looks proper mental in the flesh!

The CSL is fantastic but the 1M would be my choice for a day's driving.

For those bashing the SMG gearbox, it's not that bad once you get used to the clutch behaviour. You get a feel for it the same as you would a manual or auto. It takes time though.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Personally, I'm glad they didn't put the E92 M3 engine into the 1m, this was a car that was about BMW going back to it's roots. It needed to have a straight six.

A V8 would have sounded wrong.

BMWHaus Contributor

Id have the 1M..............with the csl engine!