Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: M54 330ci drinking oil

RE: M54 330ci drinking oil

I've no blue smoke out the back, so I don't believe it's 'ingesting' oil. My title of the thread is probably misleading.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Owen
    I've no blue smoke out the back, so I don't believe it's 'ingesting' oil. My title of the thread is probably misleading.
    of course there is no blue smoke and its definitely not leaking out 1 liter of oil every 300 miles ! it can be leaking 300 grams every 1k km but not up side down !so stop dreaming that it can be leaking so much ,it should be pissing oil everywhere and dropping on the ground every minute

I had one and it did the same. Turns out the valve seals were gone but she was putting serious blue smoke out the back. Ended up selling it as I didnt want to repair it so just took it off the price.

What sort of money were you looking at for the valve stem seals to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbreen
    I had one and it did the same. Turns out the valve seals were gone but she was putting serious blue smoke out the back. Ended up selling it as I didnt want to repair it so just took it off the price.

And it's sorted. Did the rocker cover again as the back of the engine was still soaked, along with the Vanos and currently at 850 miles with no oil light on and little change on the dipstick. I also swapped to Valvoline 10/40 for older engines which may have helped. Never been so glad. Overall the engine maintenance since buying from the old owner so far has been :

• Oil housing gasket
    • CCV Valve and hoses
    • Vanos Rebuild
    • Rocker cover gasket
    • Intake boots as a smoke test showed they were perished
    • Expansion Bottle and low pressure 1.2 bar CNC milled cap
    • DISA rebuild
    • New Thermostat housing

Of course a lot of this isn't related to the oil leak, but I was surprised at how little engine maintenance was done before I bought it.

And delighted to say there was one last oil leak, the rear crankcase seal which only became apparent when replacing the clutch - hopefully even less oil consumption now