Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M54 330ci drinking oil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RE: M54 330ci drinking oil

I think it's been like this since I bought it - my suspicion is the previous owner heard a rattle, brought it to a mechanic who offered to repair it for 400 ish, or break the plate out and that's what they went with.

I'm going to put a camera in there over the weekend and see if there's anything inside before taking the input manifold apart needlessly.

You can get a new disa flap from I6automotive it's around £50

BMWHaus Guru

DISA would probably be throwing up check engine errors. I had this on my 325ci and it never really pointed directly to the DISA unit so it turned into a process of elimination. Usually it would be linked to intake / misfire errors rather than excessive oil consumption.

As per some other suggestions, have a compression test done. It's a pain in the hoop getting to the source but you're on the right track!!

Thanks guys, I'll get a compression test done on Tuesday I reckon, and will get the DISA flap repair kit, apparently it gives you a little more low down power, so that can't be a bad thing.

BMWHaus Contributor

I did the DISA flap and replaced the VANOS seals and it was like a different car - suggest that every M54 with a few miles on the clock has this done

Any good source for the Vanos seals? Ordered the DISA kit from German Auto Solutions in the states, didn't want to risk a lower quality kit.

I6automotive do vanos seals as well as disa kit both great quality and based in the UK fast shipping

The disa kit from I6 actually looks identical to German solutions to be fair

In the industry I'm in, a lot of items on ebay/online stores are photos of something else and what you get is a poorly made clone. I didn't want to take the risk for a few euro.

The kit arrived today, and was CNC milled aluminium. Very impressed. Fitted in about 1.5 hours. I got the 1.2 bar expansion bottle cap from them too which will blow at lower pressure - handy with a 10 year old cooling system where the pipes might pop before the OEM 2 bar cap blows.

Can't believe how much more low range power I have with the DISA fixed now. Love it!

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 20.22.26.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 20.22.34.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 20.22.41.png

Hello,

Have you noticed any change in oil consumption since the fix?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen
    In the industry I'm in, a lot of items on ebay/online stores are photos of something else and what you get is a poorly made clone. I didn't want to take the risk for a few euro.

The kit arrived today, and was CNC milled aluminium. Very impressed. Fitted in about 1.5 hours. I got the 1.2 bar expansion bottle cap from them too which will blow at lower pressure - handy with a 10 year old cooling system where the pipes might pop before the OEM 2 bar cap blows.

Can't believe how much more low range power I have with the DISA fixed now. Love it!

The oil light came on a little after, I've topped it up a litre and waiting to see the diff from the last time. Last time was a litre in 220 miles, hoping this time for a little more, but who knows. Haven't had time to do a compression test yet due to work, but I'll get around to it soon.