7. You may not vote on this poll
  • E90

5 71.43%
  • E60

2 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E90 or E60 (Petrol)

E90 or E60 (Petrol)

Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently drive an E90 325i SE which is running perfectly but I have it over a year so wouldn't mind a change to something M Sport. It has to be petrol and ideally N52.

What's the better option, E90 or E60?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E90 or E60 (Petrol)

It probably depends on the nature of your driving.

I do a lot of long runs, live out of big towns, etc. so I've always appreciated the extra solidity and refinement of a 5 series saloon over a 3. If you haven't gone overboard on f-off sized wheels and tyres then they cosset and sooth in a way that I find very appealing. Even a good 3 tends to feel a little more flimsy over time and distance than a decent 3. You do sacrifice a little bit of ultimate chuckability and directness in a 5 series in comparison though. The 5's I've had have never been shabby in this way but because of their extra mass they lose out a little. The 3's tend to be a bit more nimble. The 6 cylinder engine makes a big difference and closes the gap between the 3 and 5 though.

On the other hand, if you are mostly around town, limited parking space, etc. then a 3 makes more sense.

For me, it would be 5 series all the way.

Thanks for that, sounds like the 5 might be what I'm looking for so. It would be mainly longer runs at the weekend and not much around town. Aside from fuel, would running costs be much different on the E90 over the E60? Have you found reliability to be broadly similar between the two?

BMWHaus Guru

In my experience the difference in running costs between a sensible 3 series and 5 series (even as Sport or M-Sport, but as distinct from M's) is marginal . I can't say specifically on the e90/e60 comparison because my 5's have been e39 and f10 and our e91 is a 4cyl but in comparing e36, e39, e46, etc. in a variety of 6cylinder examples its pretty much swings and roundabouts.

The costs might be for slightly different things (e.g. I don't think we've had to change a bushing, balljoint, wishbone, etc. on the e91 - and by inference e90, but its had a couple of small issues that haven't occurred on other models and on the e39 something of the list of bushings, etc. would have been std wear and tear items over the years and miles).

As regards reliability, I've never been left on the road by a BMW and only once had a failure to start (a flooding issue in an m52 e39, my own fault) in well over half a million miles of BMW motoring.

That's good to hear anyway. My previous BMW was an E46 and it certainly cost a lot more in the first twelve months of ownership than the E90 has done. Swings and roundabouts indeed.

I'm going to have a look at a few E60s in the next few days and sure I'll have a better idea then. Maybe I'll end up getting an E39 instead!

BMWHaus Guru

I have a fairly well known soft spot for the e39 so I wouldn't be talking anyone out of one.

Having said that, the e60 isn't shabby either. If it was me I'd be looking for a late facelift one that has the newer style gearshift, the updated I-drive setup and the advanced climate controls (on the 6 cyl models). These would be the '09 model year onwards.

BMWHaus Contributor

I currently have an e92 335i and while it's a spectacular car in many ways I know I'll end up in another e39 at some stage so I would certainly consider one if you're willing to do a suspension refresh and wait for the great example. I drove a few E60s and have always been left underwhelmed compared to the e39.

Quote Originally Posted by dergside
    I have a fairly well known soft spot for the e39 so I wouldn't be talking anyone out of one.

Having said that, the e60 isn't shabby either. If it was me I'd be looking for a late facelift one that has the newer style gearshift, the updated I-drive setup and the advanced climate controls (on the 6 cyl models). These would be the '09 model year onwards.
    Would 09 petrol E60s be fairly thin on the ground here? I'd imagine my budget won't stretch that far anyway.

As for E39s, there seems to be an awful lot more of them in the Daily Driver section than E60s. I wonder is that the best indicator of all for where the Haus stands on the 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I currently have an e92 335i and while it's a spectacular car in many ways I know I'll end up in another e39 at some stage so I would certainly consider one if you're willing to do a suspension refresh and wait for the great example. I drove a few E60s and have always been left underwhelmed compared to the e39.
    It's funny how it goes with cars. Started off just thinking of getting an M Sport E90, then head was turned by the E60. Now it feels like it'd be a shame not to give the E39 a look too.

Any reason in particular you were underwhelmed by the E60?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ian-909
    Would 09 petrol E60s be fairly thin on the ground here?
    Rare as rocking horse poo here. You'd need to go across the way and bring back a swimmer. VRT "adjustments" and Stg exchange rates mean that won't be a cheap option.