Thread: Clunky clunk rear top mounts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Clunky clunk rear top mounts?

Over the last 2 weeks ive noticed a clunking/knock sound form the rear right hand side when going over bumps. I pulled back the carpet in the boot and bounced up and down on the boot, i can hear a roughness from the top mount also went for spin with the rear seats down and it was very obvious.

So looks like it and probably the other side upper shock mount are knackered. Have them in over a year but lowered on eibach/bilstein and last month on JOMs.

Been looking at the best replacement and reading about uprated ones or Z3 mounts with the support mount.

Any advice on what would be best to take the abuse on the crap roads in dublin.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Clunky clunk rear top mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cisk
    Over the last 2 weeks ive noticed a clunking/knock sound form the rear right hand side when going over bumps. I pulled back the carpet in the boot and bounced up and down on the boot, i can hear a roughness from the top mount also went for spin with the rear seats down and it was very obvious.

So looks like it and probably the other side upper shock mount are knackered. Have them in over a year but lowered on eibach/bilstein and last month on JOMs.

Been looking at the best replacement and reading about uprated ones or Z3 mounts with the support mount.

Was it knocking before you put the JOM's in? Is everything tight?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

As far as i can tell, just jacked it up and had a quick look. I think it could be a co incidence. I drive a fairly rough route to work. I'd say they take a fair hammering.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

As far as i can tell, just jacked it up and had a quick look. I think it could be a co incidence. I drive a fairly rough route to work. I'd say they take a fair hammering.
    Might as well check the bushes while at it so!

look out for HD Mayle top mounts, or poly top mounts

Z3 top mounts with reinforcements be the best bet. Cost about 70€ all in. Make sure u use the reinforcements if you get a harder top mount or sheet metal could easily tear