Thread: Sat nav

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sat nav

Hi to all..........am looking to replace my very old 318 tdi with a 520d circa 2012. As this will hopefully be my car for a good many years I want to have the goodies as standard. Can get most of them but sat nav is hard to come by as it was an expensive extra. I've been told that it is not a viable buy after.
    Does anyone know if this is the case............or will I need to upgrade my old Garmin nuvi

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Sat nav

Once upon a time it was difficult to come by in Irish cars however I didnt think it was the case with more modern stuff. I guess your best bet is to keep an eye on Carzone etc.. Im sure one will pop up.

BMWHaus Guru

Given the rate of change and improvement in mapping, interfaces, etc. I wouldn't feel that Garmin/TomTom, etc. are the poor relation options. I have factory nav in the e39 and while it works fine, graphics quality, entering destinations, finding POI's, ETA calculations, etc. are all a bit clunky and slow compared to even a low end Garmin or TomTom. With these, if they can't be upgraded further then at least they are low cost to replace.

BMWHaus Guru

Sat nav

Germaniks can retrofit it if you buy a car without ot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F10 nav is two decades newer then the e39 will be a vast improvement and well worth the money imo worth it just to keep things off the windscreen and out of the way

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    F10 nav is two decades newer then the e39 will be a vast improvement and well worth the money imo worth it just to keep things off the windscreen and out of the way
    That's true Gar, but the point I was clumsily trying to make is that a built in system is expensive, official map updates are pricey and the whole system very quickly becomes outdated and crude, whereas, worst case in a similar situation with a Garmin is that you spend another €200 on a new one. That's what has happened with the e39, and I can't see why the same won't be true of the F10 in due course.

Good point, I suppose it depends on duration of ownership and of course it's just personal preference at the end of the day

Btw you can have the internals of the e39 system jazzed up by a crowd in the UK for dab dtv and so on its around 250