Thread: E60 radio replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E60 radio replacement

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone has had the same problem as me with their e60.

I bought my 2004 520 a few months back, and everything was perfect. After a few weeks the electrics began to act up once or twice (random indicating and window wiping) and the battery died a couple of times. One day I got in to the car and started it up and the idrive screen was totally blank and all sounds had gone, including the radio.

I checked around the fuses and they all seemed fine, then, after reading about the MPM units online I checked that and it was totally fried. It had been sitting in a small puddle of water as suspected, in the spare wheel well and the casing had literally melted.

I figured that could have been the reason for the idrive screen and radio dieing so I got a new one put in and programmed.

That went fine, but the idrive/sounds and radio are all still dead. The mechanic suggested I replace the radio next and told me to check around for a unit as they're meant to be fairly pricey from the dealers factory.

Anyone any ideas on where I should get one? He suggested autohaus who I'll be ringing tomorrow to price one from.

Just curious is there a specific one I need for my older model? (2004) there's no Bluetooth or anything on it, so I'm assuming I need a unit that exactly matches that?

All a bit lost on me I'm afraid, I just want it sorted really.

Thanks in advance, I've read through this forum a bit and seems to be very helpful!

Thanks,
    Paddy

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E60 radio replacement

Welcome along firstly! If you give Mick from @[GERMANIKS] a shout on here he should be able to point you in the right direction and probably get you sorted too!!

RE: E60 radio replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Welcome along firstly! If you give Mick from @[GERMANIKS] a shout on here he should be able to point you in the right direction and probably get you sorted too!!
    Happy to be here, it seems like a great forum!

Thank you very much for the speedy response!

I've send Germanik a pm there anyhow and will see what happens. I'm hoping it'll be straightforward enough to sort out as it's just a basic radio, nothing fancy

Cheers,
    Paddy