Hi there,

Performance air filters on they're own will not give very big performance gains tbh, what they do offer is the following :

Lifetime filter - So in theory it never needs to be changed, just looked after and maintained at regular service intervals.
Less restrictive air flow then ordinary paper filters
Notable improvement in throttle response throughout the rev range
Slight improvements in bhp and torque when combined with other modifications.

The better your engine can breath, then the better it shall perform. Performance panel filters need to be maintained properly in order for them to last as long as they are designed to. If a filter is let get to an exceptionally poor state then naturally it shall not be able to perform as well as it should, however in some cases it may still outperform the ordinary paper filter. If you are planning to go back down the route of a performance panel filter then drop me a PM when time comes and I can get you sorted out with a "GREEN Performance" replacement air filter. I have personally been using these and supplying them to customers for quite some time and tbh I find them very hard to beat. They have proven to notably increase throttle response on all applications and to date customers seem to be very happy with them.

On another note, as mentioned above do go back over your work to make sure all the vacuum and breather pipes are fastened down and securely and refitted properly.

Hope this helps,