Thread: E39 525 burning lots of oil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

E39 525 burning lots of oil

Have this car few 6 now and absolutely love it and is one of the best cars i have owned, since the last 2 months the oil consumption is really bothering me
    it seems to be getting worse, the engine was very well maintained and the ccv was done maybe less than 2 years ago so im not if its the problem thus time or not, there definitely is no leaks from what I can see, it seem to be burning 1 litre or more every few hundred miles which i dont think is excessive, i always use castrol and never cheap oil and am using 5w30 fully synthetic, before i do the ccv again is there anything that is a common issue that i can look for ?

BMWHaus Guru

If it's not the CCV, I would be concerned about valve stem seals. Have you considered switching to a different oil.

I know it's ten steps ahead but valdas is breaking a low mileage 530i auto, I think that engine had less than 100k on it.

BMWHaus Guru

Did you see this thread Claudio?
    http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=6578

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E39 525 burning lots of oil

seen that John and its something i will consider doing, im just wondering if there was something else that may be the issue, it definitely cant be drinking that much oil at the moment

BMWHaus Guru

How long ago as the rocker cover gasket or oil filter housing gasket. Any chance it's one of them?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 525 burning lots of oil

Rocker cover & oil fully gasket OK but Try a different grade of oil 10W40 or another option is Vanis seals (not done).

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-36322.html
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S