Thread: Any tech folk on here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any tech folk on here?

Have a bit of a problem when it comes to connecting my laptop to the TV via HDMI.

When streaming movies online on the laptop, its good quality, no buffering and pages load fast enough (only getting 6MB broadband but due to upgrade shortly). But, when I plug the HDMI lead into the laptop the internet connection goes really really slow, to the point that the movie wont play and just buffers, and when I plug it out, the movie plays instantly!

It's a new lead, a Grundig 1.4 HDMI lead, so it's not cheap lead at €2.99. Is there any settings I can change to stop this?

Also the internet in general just lags when I plug HDMI in, and wont even load google.

Any help is very appreciated Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Any tech folk on here?

if you plug it in will internet work fine still on other devices? the HDMI should not interfere with your internet connection. and the price of the lead will only affect the video quality if anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffmister
    if you plug it in will internet work fine still on other devices? the HDMI should not interfere with your internet connection. and the price of the lead will only affect the video quality if anything at all.
    never tried plugging it in direct as the modem is too far away from the tv. it wont load any webpage at all when hdmi lead is plugged even if the display is set ONLY to the laptop screen :/ plug it out and it runs grand...thanks for reply
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    HDMI leads all yield the same quality picture, anyone that tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about.

Your HDMI cable may be causing your laptop to output in the native resolution of the TV depending on the streaming service, which could be too much for the laptop.

Not being able to access a web page is weird, I have a 2GB ram laptop with an 1.2Ghz processor that'll run Netflix so there's something more at play.

Access task manager when it happens, take a screen shot and post the screenshot, sort the processes by memory utilisation, I'd like to see what processes are utilising the most resources
    i ran task manager and doesnt seem to be any programme using internet. maybe it is just the laptop not being fit to run everything. ill try later or tomorrow and screenshot and put it up...thanks

Whats the spec of the laptop, ram/processor/graphics. I'd hazard a guess that the graphics card is using up resources when HDMI is connected and the entire machine is slowing not internet specifically..

Try adjusting the resolution down to whatever the native resolution is on your laptop monitor..

Quote Originally Posted by seano
    Whats the spec of the laptop, ram/processor/graphics. I'd hazard a guess that the graphics card is using up resources when HDMI is connected and the entire machine is slowing not internet specifically..

Try adjusting the resolution down to whatever the native resolution is on your laptop monitor..
    minimum resolution i can set it to is 1080p wont let me put it to 720p :/

BMWHaus Guru

Any tech folk on here?

HDMI leads all yield the same quality picture, anyone that tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about.

Your HDMI cable may be causing your laptop to output in the native resolution of the TV depending on the streaming service, which could be too much for the laptop.

Not being able to access a web page is weird, I have a 2GB ram laptop with an 1.2Ghz processor that'll run Netflix so there's something more at play.

Access task manager when it happens, take a screen shot and post the screenshot, sort the processes by memory utilisation, I'd like to see what processes are utilising the most resources

What about adjusting the resolution on the TV itself, may present more options within the graphics properties of the laptop. Also, if you are using chrome try another browser. I've given up on chrome completely in the last while due to a number of reasons. Does the same thing happen when playing content from the hard drive.

When you open task manager arrange the items by memory usage and connect and disconnect the hdmi, might give you an idea about what's going on. Edit:As dave said above...

+1 on the hdmi cable, it either works or doesn't, no in between.

Quote Originally Posted by seano
    What about adjusting the resolution on the TV itself, may present more options within the graphics properties of the laptop. Also, if you are using chrome try another browser. I've given up on chrome completely in the last while due to a number of reasons. Does the same thing happen when playing content from the hard drive.

When you open task manager arrange the items by memory usage and connect and disconnect the hdmi, might give you an idea about what's going on. Edit:As dave said above...

+1 on the hdmi cable, it either works or doesn't, no in between.
    cheers mate, will defo have a go at that and let everyone know the results