I think its fair to say I probably drove a e60 m5 for longer than most, 3.5 years of glorious motoring. I waited to get mine in 2011, I drove loads of them and then one came up with low milage 30k 2006 and a bmw warranty. I extended the warranty after it expired. Baught it for 30k of Frank Keane, was a good time in the recession, they are appreciating these days. Sold it for 20k so only 3k depreciation a year.

Fantastic Car, geat to drive and very comfortable and practical. However the number of issues was large. Not counting service work (around 2k a year) there was around 20k in warranty work done. Talking to other owners mine was a reliable one. It takes a long time to get a feel for this car and its various rattles and noises.

After I sold mine, in perfect OEM condition, it was sold and immediatly modified voiding the warranty and any hope of getting one in the future. Its only time till its in a breakers yard due to uneconomical repair costs, having had 25 additional owners in 25 months.(its changed hands 5 times so far)

Hard to get a good one. You will pay for one and a lot of chaps are waiting for them. The only thing more expensive than a good one is a bad one. Lads get cocky that they have 25k to spend on a a car and can get insurances and afford the tax....dont fool yourself, even the lads that bought the m5 new found it a financial burden. These threads pop up all the time and are usually followed by a for sale thread in about 3 months. I downgraded to a 50k car and it feels like practically free motoring in comparison.

Find a good one and enjoy it. Good luck