Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 316ti - Gunk in coolant filler cap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

316ti - Gunk in coolant filler cap

Took a punt on a cheap (too cheap) red 2002 316ti last week. Drove fine, really well actually. Tiny wheels but have a spare set of MV2s to put on, would make a nice little run around for the Mrs.

Engine-wise, 1.8 M42B18 I think. No gunk under oil filler cap, no gunk on dipstick. Rookie error, never checked in the coolant. Got home, coolant light. Opened rad cap to find lots of creamy gunk. Strangely enough, plenty of water in engine.

Car has sat for a time, has an indicated 86k miles (no history tho) Didn't overheat, drove it 20 miles home with no issue other than the heater not getting warm. Planning to flush the rad over the weekend and hope for the best. Grasping at straws, I fear a HG.

Any advice/tips?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: 316ti - Gunk in coolant filler cap

If it's sat for a while it may be condensation after building up. I agree flush the rad. Fresh petrol and a service and drive on until it shows signs of an issue. Other than that get a compression test done.

That's my plan alright. Wondering where would the gunge have come from in the first place? Condensation in the oil fair enough but oil in the coolant?

BMWHaus Guru

Depending on the volume it would be from sitting up. I've seen cars have it even when been driven due to short spins only. I've also seen cars do a headgasket showing no mixing / sludge. How is it driving and have you checked the header pipes for temp and hardness?

Fingers firmly crossed on this one so. It really drives fine, no flat spots, temp needle plumb centre. Doesn't have that boiled smell that's tell tale of being boiled previously.

Haven't done a thing with it yet, haven't even washed it! Will get under the bonnet to flush and bleed over the next few days and report back.

BMWHaus Guru

Is there warm air coming out the vents when the internal heat is up full and the engine is warm?
    If not your HG is prob gone

No warm air, however I'm clinging to the hope it is air locked.

HC? Do you mean HG?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto
    No warm air, however I'm clinging to the hope it is air locked.

HC? Do you mean HG?
    I do, damned predictive text...
    changed now

BMWHaus Guru

If there was oil mixing with coolant it should go both ways, ie you would have Mayo in you oil.
    [hr]
    Could it be Radweld or something similar in the coolant?

BMWHaus Contributor

Couldn't be oil cooler leak not sure on that engine. .want to make sure waters circulating but id suspect gasket. .not end of the world