Thread: changine petrol to diesel for nct?

BMWHaus Contributor

changine petrol to diesel for nct?

quick question, does anyone know if i change a car from petrol to diesel,would an issue arise at nct ?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: changine petrol to diesel for nct?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve320
    quick question, does anyone know if i change a car from petrol to diesel,would an issue arise at nct ?
    Yes ,now not legal to change fuel types ,same as engineCC change ,dealer must sign the form or engineering

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw
    Yes ,now not legal to change fuel types ,same as engineCC change ,dealer must sign the form or engineering
    thanks valdas, think ill have to become friends with those engineers haha

Change it on the book too and there won't be an issue.

changing to diesel is not as simple as you might think .
    most petrol engines will rev at least 2000 revs more than diesel --the diff has to be matched to the diesel as will the gearbox even the sender unit for the speedo and other sensors may be different -
    sometimes speedos/ sensors are resistance matched both ends- to get a result both ends must agree what is going on -- exaust may exit engine from a different location as will rad usually needs to be bigger for a compression engine and engine mountings will be different to remove the tractor effect of a four cyl diesel . don't forget the extra soundproofing foil covered in some cases to allow the washing off of diesel.
    otherwise it is a pleasant way to spend the rest of your life . bugs

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mk2glenn
    Thanks Glenn I think I'll just have to make it 100% legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by bugs
    most petrol engines will rev at least 2000 revs more than diesel --the diff has to be matched to the diesel as will the gearbox even the sender unit for the speedo and other sensors may be different -
    sometimes speedos/ sensors are resistance matched both ends- to get a result both ends must agree what is going on -- exaust may exit engine from a different location as will rad usually needs to be bigger for a compression engine and engine mountings will be different to remove the tractor effect of a four cyl diesel . don't forget the extra soundproofing foil covered in some cases to allow the washing off of diesel.
    Thanks bugs I've looked into all of that aswell

BMWHaus Guru

[hr]

One more thought that might deserve consideration is insurance, given the way prices are going.

Will you get insurance easily or at an affordable price if you have to declare such a considerable modification?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

[hr]

One more thought that might deserve consideration is insurance, given the way prices are going.

Will you get insurance easily or at an affordable price if you have to declare such a considerable modification?
    Depends, if I stay in under my dads fleet insurance it makes no difference as they don't care about mods once you declare them . If I go alone I'd have trouble

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

[hr]

Depends, if I stay in under my dads fleet insurance it makes no difference as they don't care about mods once you declare them . If I go alone I'd have trouble

As long as you have a working solution you'll be grand so