Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resonance and vibrations after timing chain change

RE: Resonance and vibrations after timing chain change

BMW has finally realized that something is wrong with the vibrations and we have agreed that the engine will be resetted and centerbolt, seal and hub will be replaced.
    Will update the post when it's done (almost two weeks...)

BMWHaus Guru

Resonance and vibrations after timing chain change

Quote Originally Posted by 320iSwede
    BMW has finally realized that something is wrong with the vibrations and we have agreed that the engine will be resetted and centerbolt, seal and hub will be replaced.
    Will update the post when it's done (almost two weeks...)
    Where are you based?

I'm from Sweden, North of Göteborg.

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Your oil pump balance shafts are out of timing, nothing to do with the crank pulley/bolt. The oil pump drive sprocket obviously moved when the timing chain was being replaced.

It's the same as N42/6 engine http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_series_e46/318i_n42_tour/2_repair_instructions/11__engine_(n42)/41__oil_pump_with_filter_and_drive/1_ra__removing_and_installing_replacing_oil_pump_( n40_n42_n45_n46)/page_729/
    Starting to think you are right. Or hope you are right. They checked the car once again to replace the bolt and hub. Since they stated that the noice came from the engine mount, I removed the belt and pulley myselves and drove around the block. The noise and vibrations was still there so therefore I told them that they need to reset the engine acc to BMW manual incl balance shafts this time.

They replaced the bolt, hub and engine mount but skipped the balance shafts also this time. I will meet them next wednesday and discuss how to proceed. The engine mount was replaced on my expense (EUR 260).

Here is a film when driving on a nice road. I have driven lots of cars lately but I cant find any that can make the coins to vibrate just by changing the rpm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyAPNhkWF8

It's best to use headphones but you might be able to hear the noise from the phone loadspeaker as well.

Noise is difficult and it is even more difficult to get it on tape.

Cool RE: Resonance and vibrations after timing chain change

Now I'm really happy again. They finally adjusted the balance shafts yesteday and it made the change. The car is now as smooth as it used to be. Thanks for all help.

The picture shows a recording by phone when driving 71km/h, third gear, same time of the day, no fan, no radio, same road. The difference between the graphs below 500Hz shows the improvement.

noise.jpg