Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine swap out

BMWHaus Contributor

Engine swap out

Not sure if I have this in the right section lads so feel free to move it if not..

Swapping out my 318is in the e36 for a 325, first time doing a swap in a BMW so is there anything I need to know that's a MUST need to know.!! Swapping in engine, box, loom and ecu. Anything that I need to do while I'll have the lot out of the car on and the rack apart from oil and a general service of oils and check pipes and lines. All do's and do nots welcome lads first time doing a BMW swap so anything will help

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Engine swap out

First rule of engine swap- don't mention engine swap! Your gonna have the rules and regulations police on ye straight away regarding tax, insurance, nct, Penis size and God knows what else :-D

BMWHaus Contributor

6 cylinder anti roll bar is deeper than the 4 cylinder one. Could get away with it but you might have ti swap it out.

Power steering pot is in a different spot on 4 and 6 cylinders too. The 4 cylinder lines are too short for the 6 cylinder.

BMWHaus Guru

Also I think the suspension is different in front because of heavier engine also exhaust is diffrent

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Exhaust, prop, diff, 6 pot clocks, bigger brakes upfront etc just as they were not mentioned. Other than that service items but it's how long is a piece of string time with that. If there's no huge rush I'd refresh as much as you can on the new lump while it's out on the ground/stand when access is easier. Waterpump, thermostat etc ect oh and engine mounts. Are you dropping the m44 out or pulling up or taking the front off and pulling it forwards?

BMWHaus Contributor

Going Into a driftcar so no prob with the law lads ha.. I was planning on lifting it out.? Which was is easier.? I have the front anyway at the moment so I can do either I suppose.?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by murphykidd
    Going Into a driftcar so no prob with the law lads ha.. I was planning on lifting it out.? Which was is easier.? I have the front anyway at the moment so I can do either I suppose.?
    ah you're winning so, just wasn't sure if you were doing it on the ground or what. Is it an iron block? The later alu engines don't like the heat when they are dogged. Extra fan or two on a switch wouldnt hurt

BMWHaus Contributor

Haven't got the block yet man still on the look for one a mate of mine just picked up one during the week and it seems like he got the last one on the planet i can't find one at all ha.. Yeah planning a big rad with fan on the switch to help it much as I can

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: Engine swap out

Quote Originally Posted by murphykidd
    Haven't got the block yet man still on the look for one a mate of mine just picked up one during the week and it seems like he got the last one on the planet i can't find one at all ha.. Yeah planning a big rad with fan on the switch to help it much as I can
    Aivis over on driver has one. Look for indiglas. Also willswheels in dungannon

Sent from my Vodafone Smart II using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

I'll have a look man thanks