Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VW diesel scandal - what does it mean for us?

VW diesel scandal - what does it mean for us?

Well, those of us with BMW diesels anyway?

Tax based emissions (co2 or Nox) changes? Resale values? The true end of diesel?

Fascinating to watch, hopefully not expensive

BMWHaus Guru

RE: VW diesel scandal - what does it mean for us?

Quote Originally Posted by fraser5454
    Well this of us with diesels anyway?
    Great excuse to mess around with the CO2 bands to recoup some of the lossed revenue due to the cheeaap tax!

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

think wrong forum :hehe!:

BMWHaus Contributor

Has nothing to do with anywhere else in the world but America.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Has nothing to do with anywhere else in the world but America.
    They're recalling 11m cars worldwide, so far. I would assume it will turn out not just VW are at this.

<a href=http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/the-great-car-con-channel-4-dispatches>This</a> was goin to happen sooner or later. Attention will turn to other brands, Id say there is lots of nervous manufacturers waiting to see how this pans out.
    Death to diesel I say!

BMWHaus Guru

VW diesel scandal - what does it mean for us?

It means my m3 is now the tree huggers car of choice

BMWHaus Contributor

In fairness all those stupid regulations asking manufacturers to reduce C02/NOX etc regularly (Yes we need regulations, but not to an unrealistic level), the technology is simply not there. Yes you can reduce a bit there and there, add a filter up here and down here, but if you look at cars today, they do a little bit better in terms of pollution compared to what they were doing 30 years ago.

My 17 years old 540i designed over 20 years ago does pollute a little bit more than a 2015 M5 with the same engine size. Not that much really.

There is no miracle, run on water, hydrogen, or else to be discovered yet, but petrol/diesel combustion engines doing almost no Co2/Nox emissions, is never going to happen. No way real around it.

Yep, lots of nervous manufacturers I bet! I would be surprised if this was isolated. Bound to affect global environmental perceptions, and subsequent taxes, towards diesel I reckon. That said Diesel engines are hard wearing and economical engines so there will be plenty of debate. Time to get a Lambo!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS
    In fairness all those stupid regulations asking manufacturers to reduce C02/NOX etc regularly (Yes we need regulations, but not to an unrealistic level), the technology is simply not there. Yes you can reduce a bit there and there, add a filter up here and down here, but if you look at cars today, they do a little bit better in terms of pollution compared to what they were doing 30 years ago.

My 17 years old 540i designed over 20 years ago does pollute a little bit more than a 2015 M5 with the same engine size. Not that much really.

There is no miracle, run on water, hydrogen, or else to be discovered yet, but petrol/diesel combustion engines doing almost no Co2/Nox emissions, is never going to happen. No way real around it.
    However you neglect the point that todays M5 makes nearly twice the power of your 540i whilst producing less emmissions and using half the amount of fuel.

Things have moved on a fair bit.