Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 525i Automatic Transmission Problem

BMWHaus Contributor

E39 525i Automatic Transmission Problem

Quick question lads. Recently, in the last 2 months or so the gearbox has become a bit laggy, more recently it's been hanging on changing from 4th to 5th in regular Drive but will shift fine with Tiptronic. In Drive it will also sometimes go into Transmission Failsafe if I take a corner and go for a kick down if the car is only running 10/15 minutes. This is resolved by turning the car off and on again and it's good again.

There's also a whine from the gearbox when shifting into 3rd. We suspect it's leaking, would low oil account for these problems?
    E39 525iA Sport - Sapphire Black - SOLD
    E39 528iT SE - Orient Blue - SOLD
    E39 540i/A Sport - Topaz Blue

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 525i Automatic Transmission Problem

Yes, I'd service it as soon as possible. Although if there's mechanical wear then a service isn't gonna fix it. What gearbox do you have in the e39, is it ZF? If so I have a handy link for you

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Yes, I'd service it as soon as possible. Although if there's mechanical wear then a service isn't gonna fix it. What gearbox do you have in the e39, is it ZF? If so I have a handy link for you
    Yeah I must get it down to Cork Gearbox Center for a service/inspection, it's a ZF alright!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhole Norman
    Yeah I must get it down to Cork Gearbox Center for a service/inspection, it's a ZF alright!
    Pm on the way

BMWHaus Contributor

I did have some issues with mine going into limp mode when I got it first. Wouldnt give any codes. Had gearbox serviced and issue went away for 9 months. Eventually limp mode came back once in a while. This time gave a speed senor code in box error code. Now before I got this fixed. The oil cooler for transmission burst and shat oil everywhere. New cooler installed and oil topped up. Never a problem since. I figure the cooler was weeping from day one.

BMWHaus Contributor

[quote=Foxhole Norman]

Are they still around? When mine broke in September last year in Cork, I tried to get in touch with them, called a few times, nobody ever picked up.
    Maybe I did not have the right number I don't know, but it was straight from their website.
    Ended up getting a used one from a 740i for 150 euros and has been fine ever since. Got lucky I could have bought a faulty one...Rebuild usually are around 1500 euros. Not cheap.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS

Are they still around? When mine broke in September last year in Cork, I tried to get in touch with them, called a few times, nobody ever picked up.
    Maybe I did not have the right number I don't know, but it was straight from their website.
    Ended up getting a used one from a 740i for 150 euros and has been fine ever since. Got lucky I could have bought a faulty one...Rebuild usually are around 1500 euros. Not cheap.
    They are indeed, was just in there, diagnosis not good. Errors in gears 3 and 4 which is where my whine was when it shifted into them. Going in for a level check tomorrow morning to try and rule the level out.

BMWHaus Contributor

Ah jasus doesnt sound good. Best of luck with it.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyghia
    Ah jasus doesnt sound good. Best of luck with it.
    Sound, I'll need all the luck I can get right now! Dropped her in this morning so hopefully I'll hear something back by tomorrow morning. Yaris life for now :sad:

BMWHaus Contributor

So got the oil topped up and was told to take it home for the week and see what the craic is. It shifts perfectly again now, so, so smooth! Will be going back in the next week for an Oil/Filter change and fix the leak in it, hopefully I can leave it at that for a while. Delighted