Thread: Car speaker Restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Car speaker Restoration

I have a pair of square shaped 1980's vintage pioneer speakers that have perished with time.

As square speakers are very hard to source, I have been unable to find replacements.

Does anyone know of a company that will refurbish/restore vintage Pioneer car speakers?

Many thanks.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Car speaker Restoration

Do you think they are worth repairing?

Pioneer are not exactly known for their high end speakers.

Might be easier/cheaper/faster to get a brand new set of round ones and make square spacers. Many speakers come this way these days
    You can use butyl too instead of making wood spacers. Really depends of the overall shape of that original speaker location.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayerische
    I have a pair of square shaped 1980's vintage pioneer speakers that have perished with time.

As square speakers are very hard to source, I have been unable to find replacements.

Does anyone know of a company that will refurbish/restore vintage Pioneer car speakers?

Many thanks.

BMWHaus Guru

I'm with GERMANIKS on this one you'd be before off with new speakers and adaptor plates

BMWHaus Guru

Car speaker Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Bayerische

Many thanks.
    I suppose now's not the time to reveal I sold a set last year for buttons...

No experience myself but I came across this on Google
    www.ckspeakers.com/repair-upgrade

BMWHaus Guru

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Germanics : The reason I wanted to get the speakers repaired is that they are original to the car which is a 1987 BMW. I am an originality nut and that was the thought process behind it.

I take your point though, if a new speaker could be inserted into the old housing so that it looks like the old 1987 square pioneer units then I would go for that.

John : Pity I missed your speakers. Thanks for the link, I googled speaker repair and came up with nothing. I will give those guys a call and see what they say.