Thread: Ignition Locked in off position

Ignition Locked in off position

Stopped at shop on way home from work yesterday and when I came back to car i couldn't start the car the ignition was just locked solid wouldn't turn . anyone ever have this ? Or know what's involved in repairing ?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Ignition Locked in off position

What car ? Happens on e36s quite a bit..easy to sort but not on your first go its a mass of springs and collars inside the barrel. .will your key come out ? only option I had was wheel off..ignition off. Barrel out disassemble, bought repair kit from ebay for 11 quid..replace and reassemble..bmw want 280e for the privelage..if you wiggle the keys around very easy it may catch but its a temporary solution to a long term problem

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Ignition Locked in off position

Few options if keys are out. Insert the key and try and rock the wheel left first and back right while trying to turn the key. If this doesnt work keys out use a solvent like wd40 or something safe and spray into the ignition and leave sit before reattempting the above again. Dependant on model with the key in drop the covering under the wheel and it may be possible to turn the ignition to the on position using a screw driver from the back end of the barrel. Failing that as ford said it's a lock smith next and then bmw. Or if confident you can get a second hand ignition and swap the tumblers over if needed (involved but possible).