Thread: 328i won't start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

328i won't start

Hi lads, so as it says it won't start. Engine is turning no problem but just isn't firing up. Anyone have any symptoms as what it could be and what to change out? Haven't got the chance to go at it yet but will be first thing in the morning.

BMWHaus Contributor

328i won't start

Put petrol in it

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: 328i won't start

Plenty petrol in her

BMWHaus Guru

Flooded? Happened me with the 328, on the day i went to sell it! The first time it happened too, apparently m52s dont like short hops, i move the car about 30 meters and went to start and it wouldn't catch. Left it a few hours and fired up no problem.

BMWHaus Guru

Ews changed?

BMWHaus Contributor

Jump it with another car, battery might be a bit low.
    Check with another key key
    Fuel pump might be faulty
    Starter motor might be faulty
    etc..

BMWHaus Contributor

328i won't start

As ketron said,happened me too,take the plugs out and clean them.leave it a while before refitting and all should be fine,happened me 3 times in m52

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As per standard in these situation - you need to check on 3 most important things that engine needs to run successfully: fuel, spark and air.
    Firstly, I'd remove all the spark plugs, then you could see if they were flooded or if they are dirty. Remove fuel pump relay and crank the engine to see if you are getting spark. If that's ok, check your air intake box, rubber elbows and all the vacuum hoses you can reach/see. Make sure they are fine, well connected and with no cracks.
    Then you need to see if you are getting fuel. You can check that on fuel rail. On some cars there are like a little valve that you can press on and it squirts some fuel out telling you there is fuel in the fuel rail. In cars that don't have that, you can remove the fuel line, the closest one to a fuel rail and check for fuel. You should also listen to a fuel pump go "click" once you turn your key into ignition position 2.
    If all these work out fine, then it means that one of the sensors is messing up and this can be checked by diagnostics read.

I've been through similar situations and there many causes that could be a problem. Once the rubber elbow had a crack, engine was barely running and was very rough. The other time the vacuum hose from brake booster came off, the car didn't even start. Third time my crank sensor was counting last minutes, the car would sometimes start, sometimes not.

BMWHaus Contributor

Got her started man first off was a bad crank sensor then was a secondary immobiliser that wasn't letting the fuel pump go live