Thread: Bleeding e36 323i

BMWHaus Guru

Bleeding e36 323i

Trying to bleed my e36 323i and there seems to be a lot of trapped air. What's the easiest way to bleed it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RE: Bleeding e36 323i

Get the front up always seems to help.
    They are a fecker to get right.
    Get it as good as you can bring it for a short drive and try again.
    Worked for me last week. I repeated that three times.

BMWHaus Guru

Does the heater for your face ever work hot ? Mines warm at best windscreen and feet hot tho. Think I have it now yeah there a feck er to bleed

Yeah yeah it does get very hot. Like if you had the heat on fully you'd need the window down even on a cold morning!
    Maybe that's just me though, dont like the heat

BMWHaus Guru

Ah must not be fully bleed yet so!

BMWHaus Contributor

When I had a problem with the bleeding the 323i. After I thought I bleed the system was still cold air. I drove around the block over few Ramps and bang. Hot air straight away. No issues after that. Topped up the coolant and happy days.

Bleeding e36 323i

Only way to do it thoroughly is to:
    -let it go stone cold(overnight)
    -jack the front up.
    -open and remove both bleed and rad cap
    -Turn ignition on, engine off and heater on fully hot on setting one
    - put a funnel in the radiator filling neck
    -get a hose and run water in to the funnel(the funnel rushes water through the coolant system better than the hose it's self for whatever reason)
    - the water will spew out the bleed aperture pushing the air bubbles with it ,keep this going for 10 minutes +
    - re fit bleed screw
    - suck/pump out some of the water just enough to leave a drop at the end of the expansion tank and top up with coolant(you might want to do this again the next time it's cold to get the mix right)
    -run the engine up to temp and check for heat from the vents etc and correct engine temp

Sent via my Telegraph machine using morse code

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

:dodgy: :hehe!:

dont need any jacks or lifts

open screw on the top radiator hose if has and on expansion bottle , fill coolant until it start go threw hose bleeding screw , close screw .keep filling coolant until it will stat go threw expansion bottle bleeding screw ,close after .fill nearly full radiator ,close main cap. best is to get it on the road ,but if all ok in the system ,u can keep it running parked ,let engine run for about 3k revs and check temperature gauge .will heat up to the middle , takes few more minutes ,thermostat will open,both radiator hoses will be hot. once thermostat opens , there is no air hidden air locks.let it cool down and top up if needed
    dont open any screws on hot engine , dont open and bleed it on engine running , dont open even after thermostat opens , let it cool down and check level,even next day ,thats all .works from first go,never need to do more than once , only if u didnt finish to open thermostat

Proper bleeding will never be done at first try. It usually takes 3-4 times in order to properly bleed it, simply because of trapped air.
    To make this as simple as possible:
    1. fill it up,
    2. open bleeder screw, engine running, heater on hot and full blast, squeeze all the hoses you can reach, double check the coolant level,
    3. drive around, make sure to go over bumps, hard stops - it helps.

And then you repeat steps 2-3 for at least 3 times and it seems to bleed it.
    I just usually fill up, go to work, bleed. Come back home from work, bleed. Two three days of this and it works.

Also make sure you have no leaks.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

[size=xx-large]OMG[/size] :huh::huh::huh: loss of attention or post counting ?