Thread: HID KITS

HID KITS

Hi Guys,
    Looking for some advice recommendations for HID kit. Recently done a retrofit for pre LCI halogen to LCI halogen on my E60, I have upgraded the angel eyes to 10w cree but feel the dims are letting down the look.
    I've been looking at HID kits over on flea bay and i'm alot more lost now than I was in the beginning. Initially I was looking at 35w h7 with 6000k bulbs , but i'm a little uncertain now whether to go a step further and go 8000k. I'm not interested in a 55w kit as I understand all this does is generate more heat.??
    I am looking at something along this line at moment ( like so ) .
    what are your opinions on this kit? color selection? Any other places I can buy from?
    Thank for your time, appreciate any feedback, and apologise in advance if I've posted in incorrect section.
    Cheers
    Dan

RE: HID KITS

6000k is getting a bit blue IMO, I have 5k for the bike and they are a very pure white. Agree wrt 35w vs 55w, no need. I used theretrofitsource.com in the U.S. , great quality gear and really helpful staff on email and phone to help out and advise.

BMWHaus Guru

HID KITS

I git mine from
    http://www.hids-direct.co.uk and have them in almost 3 years without any problem

BMWHaus Contributor

6k max, but 5k is the best imo.
    Also, see if you can bury the boxes etc as otherwise they have to be taken out for every NCT.

I deal with HID kits almost every week and have a lot of experience installing them.
    I second the guys, 6000K is turning blueish slightly, 5000K is pure white. When it comes to 35W vs 55W, you need to get 55W kit, they are obviously brighter, but you may have problems with 35W kits. OEM bulbs are 55W and it is recommended to stay within the same wattage. Some 35W will not work with E60 ECU, it will not throw an error, but it will be flashing. Not very noticeably, but it may. It depends on the quality of the kits.
    Please do not get the cheapest kit. You should be looking to spend at least 60 EUR. Some kits are more expensive than the others for a reason. Also look at the wiring, get a kit that has couple small boxes integrated in ballast wiring (they are identical to "warning cancelers") and make sure they are CANBUS, something like this:

Are you going to do the installation yourself? You'll need to make a 1 EUR coin size hole in your headlight cover caps for ballast wiring.
    Are you familiar with NCT HID Xenon regulations? This is what they check for.
    National Car Test Manual 2012 - page 30 - HEADLAMP CONDITION:
    "Where HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs are fitted switch on the headlights and check that cleaning devices such as headlamp
    wipers or high pressure water jets are present and work. Check where possible that the headlamp levelling device is working."

Sorry for thread hijack, but I'm also somewhat interested in this topic.. I have never owned a car with HIDs or Xenons, I think a lot of them look tacky IMO, but I'm keen to know what options there are for an E46 coupe.
    I like the look of the Angel eyes and am also looking for good bright lighting, from reading above it would seem that 5k is the preferred option.

Any advice on what route looks best in keeping the car OEM looking? How will installing a HID kit effect the fogs? They will continue to be H11 Halogen and very yellow correct?

Cheers

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ian89
    Sorry for thread hijack, but I'm also somewhat interested in this topic.. I have never owned a car with HIDs or Xenons, I think a lot of them look tacky IMO, but I'm keen to know what options there are for an E46 coupe.
    I like the look of the Angel eyes and am also looking for good bright lighting, from reading above it would seem that 5k is the preferred option.

Any advice on what route looks best in keeping the car OEM looking? How will installing a HID kit effect the fogs? They will continue to be H11 Halogen and very yellow correct?

Cheers
    Your fogs are designed to pierce through dense foggy air. Don't change those bulbs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Genius
    I deal with HID kits almost every week and have a lot of experience installing them.
    I second the guys, 6000K is turning blueish slightly, 5000K is pure white. When it comes to 35W vs 55W, you need to get 55W kit, they are obviously brighter, but you may have problems with 35W kits. OEM bulbs are 55W and it is recommended to stay within the same wattage. Some 35W will not work with E60 ECU, it will not throw an error, but it will be flashing. Not very noticeably, but it may. It depends on the quality of the kits.
    Please do not get the cheapest kit. You should be looking to spend at least 60 EUR. Some kits are more expensive than the others for a reason. Also look at the wiring, get a kit that has couple small boxes integrated in ballast wiring (they are identical to "warning cancelers") and make sure they are CANBUS, something like this:

Are you going to do the installation yourself? You'll need to make a 1 EUR coin size hole in your headlight cover caps for ballast wiring.
    Are you familiar with NCT HID Xenon regulations? This is what they check for.
    National Car Test Manual 2012 - page 30 - HEADLAMP CONDITION:
    "Where HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs are fitted switch on the headlights and check that cleaning devices such as headlamp
    wipers or high pressure water jets are present and work. Check where possible that the headlamp levelling device is working."
    Thanks for that, yeah i'll be installing them myself, I have installed 1 kit before on an aftermarket set of lights no probs at all, But this time out with the LCI upgrade rather than keep the cost low (learn the hard way) I want it right first time and not having to spend again to get it right. Which I should have done in the first place rather than purchase aftermarket headlights but anyway . As regards NCT I just got a 2 year done and should I still have the E60 in 2017 I plan to swop them out to original for the test I don't wanna be smearing around installing jet washers . Get them in and get them right. Self leveling is working perfect on new LCI headlamp so far everything has been smooth transition. the last couple of days I have been dithering around the sites trying to decide on a kit all in and around €100 mark delivered . Just haven't made up my mind yet ,
    H7 35w Canbus Pro HID Xenon Conversion kit + projector clips ( €70 plus delivery so around €85-€90 mark from Hids direct- Will the clips be necessary or would 1 get away without these I suspect that they are needed to hold the bulbs better in position? Also I'm thinking metal based bulbs are the way to go? As regards 55w i'm tempted as some of the folks around here tend to dim only when they are on top of you instead of the recommended distance they see you dim and still proceed with full beams ( really gets on my T**s).
    Appreciate the feedback.

I am getting a new batch of 55W HID kits next week. PM me if you want to get more details on them.
    But to be safe, I would recommend getting the 55W. Like I mentioned before, I had problems with 35W xenons on LCI models. ECU didn't seem to like it.
    There is no need of any other clips or adapters. Xenon bulbs can be inserted into OEM bulb holder, it just takes time until you get all the wiring and rubber grommet through that metal holder's hole.
    Headlights need to be removed. Easier to work around the bulb socket.
    Make sure ballasts are metal and heavy, not plastic ones. Metal dissipates heat better. Once they are installed, ballasts can be inserted and hidden into the hole just under the front wings and once the headlights are back in the car, ballasts will be hidden.
    I wish you were in Dublin, I would look after you no problem