Thread: E28 Front Sport Seat Rail Bolts

BMWHaus Contributor

E28 Front Sport Seat Rail Bolts

Has anyone got the 8 bolts that hold down the 2 front sports seats in an e28? They are about 50mm long. E28's with standard seats have bolts that are 25mm long so if your retrofitting sport seats into an e28 (which is what I'm doing) you need the longer bolts

And they are not available from BMW

Item number 10 in the pic http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DC82-EUR-02-1987-E28-BMW-M535i&diagId=52_0158

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

Would these do the job @[eamo]
    http://www.ebolt.co.uk/hex-bolt-m10x50-180-p.asp

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E28 Front Sport Seat Rail Bolts

I can get normal bolts in the local hardware but just not sure if their tensile strength is the same as the BMW ones. And I don't ever want to find out if you know what I mean!

BMWHaus Guru

I think this an area where @[rebel.ranter] might be able to share his engineering expertise...

BMWHaus Contributor

http://www.tucksfasteners.ie/

I have used them before. They have a wide range of sizes and would advise on strength levels and will sell you 1 or 100 bolts. They are not to far from Joe Duffy in Finglas

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I think this an area where @[rebel.ranter] might be able to share his engineering expertise...
    It's the wrong engineering for me, I'm electrical and electronic or RF and now IT Engineering. :tounge:
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    It's the wrong engineering for me, I'm electrical and electronic or RF and now IT Engineering. :tounge:
    I thought you knew everything

BMWHaus Guru

I'll chime in being an IT engineer with no idea of metallurgy

Stainless in general has a pretty high tensile strength regardless of type, eg 316, if i were you I'd find what type is used and go from there

BMWHaus Guru

Re: E28 Front Sport Seat Rail Bolts

Stainless steel would have greater tensile strength than bright mild steel which is probably where the seats bolt in to. But because of that the stainless might strip the threads quite easily if over-tightened or taken in and out frequently. Even similar metals of different quality will leach. Best to try source bolts made of the same grade metal as what's there already.

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

Re: E28 Front Sport Seat Rail Bolts

As mentioned Tucks would probably sort you out. They supply a lot of toolmaking/fabrication places with gear.

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2