Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smell of exhaust fumes inside car

Smell of exhaust fumes inside car

I've noticed the last few mornings that there is a smell of diesel exhaust fumes inside the car. Its not really bad but is definitely there and appears to be worse when I'm sitting in traffic.
    I did a quick search there and the flexi joint on the exhaust can be the culprit sometimes, or maybe its something else? Any ideas?Thanks

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Smell of exhaust fumes inside car

have you checked to make sure its not something as simple as a dirty pollen filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon
    have you checked to make sure its not something as simple as a dirty pollen filter?
    Thanks. No, haven't looked at anything yet. Could a dirty pollen filter cause that?
    I'm not too familiar with the diesel engines so don't know where to start looking.

BMWHaus Guru

You may have an oil leak, a drop of oil on the exhaust will cause that smell. Meanwhile you can switch on the air con and the smell should go away (as air comes through a different route), or otherwise switch off the fan and shut all the vents with the manual controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    You may have an oil leak, a drop of oil on the exhaust will cause that smell. Meanwhile you can switch on the air con and the smell should go away (as air comes through a different route), or otherwise switch off the fan and shut all the vents with the manual controls.
    Cheers. Funny you say that about the air con, I usually go around with the air con on all the time and only started turning it off this week, the problem could have been there a while.

BMWHaus Guru

Hopefully it's something straight forward, rocker cover gasket or somethin

BMWHaus Contributor

If the car is an E46 its more than likely a broken flexi joint in the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by hooch
    If the car is an E46 its more than likely a broken flexi joint in the exhaust.
    Thanks. It's an e91 320D, I've read they go on the e9x also.
    Ah I'll bring it in somewhere and get it checked out rather than googling and speculating :smiling:

BMWHaus Contributor

I was getting an exhausty smell in the cabin - replaced manky pollen filter and problem solved

BMWHaus Guru

Happend twice in the GF mini, both times turned out to be duff injector seals.