Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a gap in the market...

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: There's a gap in the market...

The best of both worlds would be e46 330ci with close to M3's final ratio 3.62.Good car should cost about 5000,diff 1000,good remap and induction kit 500.And for under 7 grand you have bullet prove motor,with snappy acceleration and 250bhp on tap.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gitzer
    Have you considered a quattro tt? 220hp from the 1800. Yes its not a smooth 6 pot but hard to beat power wise per displacement.

Regarding a bmw. The closest your going to get to what your looming for is a 2.5-3ltr z4 or an e46 330ci but as you said yourself you'll need to change the gearing etc.

S2000 wise as we talked about before they are rising in value now. Even at 6k ypu'll find it quite hard to get a good example. Even at that it will most likely be totally standard spec, which imo they arent great. They need atleast a decent set of wheels, lowered and maybe a decent cat back. Where as the z4 has the 6 spot sound and come woth some nice wheels from factory. S2k's are also not a good daily driver unless your into no luxury's, rattles/road noise, very little low down power which is what you need more of the time. They are very twitch unless set up properly and arent very comfy in general. Z4 has alot more cabin room also. Now i loved my old s2k. Great cars but they suit 1 purpose only tbh

E46...... I was thinking the same as you before i got the z4. Will i get a nice 330ci etc. In the end I decided I couldnt buy an e46 unless it was an m car. They arent like the e36 that way. Thats just personal opinion.

Id love a nice e30 318is or 325 but to find a decent example these days is near impossible and if you do that doesnt need money spent on it they are quite dear.

What about a boxster s?
    Agreed

Not a fan of the early TT, the 2006+ model is pretty sexy but also pricey (and fwd). Not sure about boxsters tbh, I imagine they'd be a very expensive car to maintain as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Oh I've a good one now that we are talking Vags, a Leon Cupra R, 225bhp, 1.8l and brembo brakes. Had one for a week or two a few years ago, fantastic car and a bit of a sleeper (bang a tdi badge on the back )
    Very quick no doubt as are VW GTIs etc but it's hard to move away from rwd

Quote Originally Posted by narusa
    The best of both worlds would be e46 330ci with close to M3's final ratio 3.62.Good car should cost about 5000,diff 1000,good remap and induction kit 500.And for under 7 grand you have bullet prove motor,with snappy acceleration and 250bhp on tap.
    That's right up my street is an M3 diff plug and play on a 330ci? An eisenmann as well and job done

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitzer
    Have you considered a quattro tt? 220hp from the 1800. Yes its not a smooth 6 pot but hard to beat power wise per displacement.

Regarding a bmw. The closest your going to get to what your looming for is a 2.5-3ltr z4 or an e46 330ci but as you said yourself you'll need to change the gearing etc.

S2000 wise as we talked about before they are rising in value now. Even at 6k ypu'll find it quite hard to get a good example. Even at that it will most likely be totally standard spec, which imo they arent great. They need atleast a decent set of wheels, lowered and maybe a decent cat back. Where as the z4 has the 6 spot sound and come woth some nice wheels from factory. S2k's are also not a good daily driver unless your into no luxury's, rattles/road noise, very little low down power which is what you need more of the time. They are very twitch unless set up properly and arent very comfy in general. Z4 has alot more cabin room also. Now i loved my old s2k. Great cars but they suit 1 purpose only tbh

E46...... I was thinking the same as you before i got the z4. Will i get a nice 330ci etc. In the end I decided I couldnt buy an e46 unless it was an m car. They arent like the e36 that way. Thats just personal opinion.

Id love a nice e30 318is or 325 but to find a decent example these days is near impossible and if you do that doesnt need money spent on it they are quite dear.

What about a boxster s?
    Agreed

Not a fan of the early TT, the 2006+ model is pretty sexy but also pricey (and fwd). Not sure about boxsters tbh, I imagine they'd be a very expensive car to maintain as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Oh I've a good one now that we are talking Vags, a Leon Cupra R, 225bhp, 1.8l and brembo brakes. Had one for a week or two a few years ago, fantastic car and a bit of a sleeper (bang a tdi badge on the back )
    Very quick no doubt as are VW GTIs etc but it's hard to move away from rwd

That's right up my street is an M3 diff plug and play on a 330ci? An eisenmann as well and job done
    U dont need E46 M3 diff , they are crap :hehe!:
    now its option to fit LSD unit in E46 open diffs , not all of them but medium or big case and some different ratios can be converted into LSD diff ,or quaife :wink:

BMWHaus Contributor

E46 330 clubsport?

BMWHaus Guru

There's a gap in the market...

Aforementioned 330i
    Hi, I thought you might be interested in this advert on Carzone.ie

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330I-M-S/148914256439413880/advert?channel=CARS

330ci
    Hi, I thought you might be interested in this advert on Carzone.ie

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330-Ci-M/201014434626923090/advert?channel=CARS

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Don't even attempt to fit e46 M3 diff they are crap.Best option build a custom diff with bmw of after market slipping unit.

BMWHaus Guru

Don't even attempt to fit e46 M3 diff they are crap.Best option build a custom diff with bmw of after market slipping unit.
    As in unreliable or what?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

They wear out and there is no parts to fix them properly

BMWHaus Guru

I'm liking the 330 with diff and exhaust option. I need to drive a 2.2 though as well to satisfy my curiosity, any owners on the site nearby willing to let me have a spin of theirs feel free to get in touch

@John, I saw your old 330 for sale alright, I think it's been for sale a while. Tempting but really need to get back in a manual for maximum fun this time around

I think it'll become clear after a test drive in a 2.2 e46/z4 and an S2000.

BMWHaus Contributor

I sincerely mean this Peter, I think you should just stop fannying about and go buy an e46 m3. It's everything you described above. Blisteringly quick and if you find the gears too long, fit a short ratio diff and turn it into a rocket.

Yes they're expensive to maintain, but there's a decent second hand market for parts and lots of knowledgable lads on here and in the UK on M3cutters etc.

You'll be sitting at the traffic lights one day in a 330 and an M3 will pull up beisde you and you'll realise you made the wrong choice!