Thread: Cleaning m44 throttle body

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Cleaning m44 throttle body

Decided I'd give one of these a clean the other evening. Stripped it down and gave it a shot of carb cleaner and tooth brush. It improved it but not close to where I would like it to be. Do people soak these in diesel or petrol to remove gunk or whats the story? Also is the little sensor built into the body removable? Have the plastic off to expose it and it looks like a little clip holds it in but unsure. Have pics that I can post later. Thanks

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: Cleaning m44 throttle body

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Decided I'd give one of these a clean the other evening. Stripped it down and gave it a shot of carb cleaner and tooth brush. It improved it but not close to where I would like it to be. Do people soak these in diesel or petrol to remove gunk or whats the story? Also is the little sensor built into the body removable? Have the plastic off to expose it and it looks like a little clip holds it in but unsure. Have pics that I can post later. Thanks
    Hi Dave, if the carbon build up is excessive then it will need to soak due to the nature of carbon build up going solid. Carb cleaner is fine for removal of light build up but diesel is great for prolonged soaking. You'll go through cans of carb cleaner very quickly if using them making it a costly exercise.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Super4
    Hi Dave, if the carbon build up is excessive then it will need to soak due to the nature of carbon build up going solid. Carb cleaner is fine for removal of light build up but diesel is great for prolonged soaking. You'll go through cans of carb cleaner very quickly if using them making it a costly exercise.
    Thanks Cab yeah the can of car cleaner doesn't last long. Had asked a few people and they thought it nuts soaking in diesel. Must get that sorted. Thanks

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Thanks Cab yeah the can of car cleaner doesn't last long. Had asked a few people and they thought it nuts soaking in diesel. Must get that sorted. Thanks
    I have soaked mine in diesel when I first got her as it was well choked up, there are no ill effects and I have put thousands of miles on the car. I let mine soak iirc for about an hour.

BMWHaus Guru

I have soaked mine in diesel when I first got her as it was well choked up, there are no ill effects and I have put thousands of miles on the car. I let mine soak iirc for about an hour.
    did you remove the small sensor built into the housing?

BMWHaus Contributor

I normally use a 50/50 mix of petrol and diesel for cleaning parts. For bad stuff let it soak over night.

Wheel detergent and a heated power washer gives good results too.