Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre size for 'stretch' needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tyre size for 'stretch' needed

I have an e90 Msport.

I'm fitting 19inch wheels, 8.5 front and 9.5 rear.

What size tyres should I order so that theres a bit of stretch, nothing too hectic, and that will still fit the car.

All advice appreciated.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Tyre size for 'stretch' needed

Just curious why you would want to stretch? Oem size is 255/30/19 on the rear so you could either go up or down in size, 265/30 or down to 235/35. Personally I'd stick with 265/30.

Not sure why your looking to stretch unless your going low but Falkens are a great tyre for stretching

I will be looking to go a bit lower at some stage when funds allow. So if 255 fits a 9.5inch wheel I think i'll go a size down and get 235 so that the tyre is stretched that little bit. Does that make sense?

So what should I order then, front and rear. Do the profiles (ie 30 or 35) need to be different as well?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    Not sure why your looking to stretch unless your going low but Falkens are a great tyre for stretching
    Because their sidewall is so soft. I would avoid Falkens. Uniroyal rain sports much better in the same price range. And stretch for no reason looks stupid if I'm adding my two cents. Car needs to be absolutely slammed to pull it off anything else is felt spec imho

So 265/30/19 rear.

What do i need for the front? 235/35/19...will that work?

(Sorry for the dumb questions lads)

BMWHaus Contributor

No not really.
    My m5 has 9.5 rears and the "correct" size is 275. IMO 235 will look silly on a 9.5 wheel. My e90 has a 9.0 rear and 255 tyre. Even with a 255 tyre there's loads of arch space on the rear should you decide to go lower. A perfect medium would be a 265/30 this will still leave you space in the future.

BMWHaus Contributor

The above picture is the rear of my e90 msport on 255/30/19 tyres (9.0 wheel) as you can see there's still loads of arch space for either a wider tyre or further lowering (or both if needed)

As said I'd either go with a 265/30 or 275/30 tyre on the rear and a 235/35 front.

Thank God, I just ordered them. Thanks.

Re: Tyre size for 'stretch' needed

Be careful just cause theres loads of room on the outside of the wheel doesn't mean its the same on the inside (were it usually rubs first)