Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 - Wont Start (Clicking)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E39 - Wont Start (Clicking)

Strange one.

My E39 is only used about once a week for Dublin to Galway/Clare runs and some times it would need a jump from a battery pack (maybe once every 2 months or so).

I took the battery in the last day to give it a good winter maintenance charge - left it for about 48hrs and the car started up no problem.

Drove to Clare on Friday night, used the car twice on Saturday and then woke up on Sunday and it just wouldn't start - All lights, radio working (nothing dimmed) but just clicking when you turn the key.

Went to jump it with a friends car and it started as soon as I connected his car without even his being on.

Took it for a spin for 30min and it started that evening again - woke up the next day and it started but went to the shop and same thing - clicking.

Took the battery in last night and the charger says it's 90% full so it looks like it's not the battery, but something stopping it from starting? - EWS? Earth wire? Fuse blown?

One thing that has happened recently is the oil level sensor isn't working - car was very low on oil and no light?

Battery is heavy duty Bosch about 3 years old.

Any ideas?

Car is 2002 520i Auto with 134k Miles.

S.

BMWHaus Guru

Sounds like a similar problem we had with my dads e39. A new battery sorted it. The old was only 2 or 3 years old but was a dud

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 - Wont Start (Clicking)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Sounds like a similar problem we had with my dads e39. A new battery sorted it. The old was only 2 or 3 years old but was a dud
    If i was a betting man, my money would be on the battery too.

Is it a sealed or serviceable type battery? Might need topping up with battery acid. If sealed type tho, as above, new battery req'd.

BMWHaus Contributor

Mine did that when I left the lights on, car seemed to have enough power left to start but I just got the clicking sound. Once I put jump leads on it it started first turn but I had the transmission fail safe light on. Drove for a few miles like that to charge the battery and then turned ignition off and restarted with no fails. The thing with battery's is they wear out very quick when the car is used occasionally.if the battery has to be changed have a look into those trickle chargers to keep battery topped up.

It's the battery. Mine did the very same, you just hear a clicking noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not totally convinced, the battery was charged for 2 days straight and driven 300 miles - Wouldn't that imply alternator or something causing the battery to not charge while driving?

The previous battery died and it was really obvious as the lights dimmed and the stereo was low etc. None of that is happening this time. It seems like full power but just not getting from the battery in the boot to the starter.

Also, the battery that did start it was a tiny little thing out of a 1.2 skoda... Car wasn't even started, just connected directly to the engine bay terminals.

Any other ideas?

S.

BMWHaus Guru

Have you got a multimeter handy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    I do somewhere - why?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by seanpburke
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    I do somewhere - why?
    Test your battery and see if there is a voltage drop, and see if its charging correctly?