Have you got a multimeter handy?
    I do somewhere - why?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 - Wont Start (Clicking)

Quote Originally Posted by seanpburke
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Have you got a multimeter handy?
    I do somewhere - why?
    Test your battery and see if there is a voltage drop, and see if its charging correctly?

BMWHaus Guru

Should be 13.5 - 14 volts when car is running and alternator is working as it should. It will drop to just over 12v when the engine is off

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    Should be 13.5 - 14 volts when car is running and alternator is working as it should. It will drop to just over 12v when the engine is off
    Right, I'll dig out the MM and give it a go.

S

E39 - Wont Start (Clicking)

What was the problem in the end?

Administrator

My poxy car wouldnt start on Sunday evening!
    Moved it on the driveway on Saturday, not a bother, but wouldnt budge on Sunday evening - same clicking!

Had a few orange lights appear on the dash over the past few days, but have a wheel bearing gone, and assumed it was that playing havoc with the DSC system, or whatever.
    Bit of checking back, shows that I last replaced the battery back in Sept 2010, with a cheap enough one, 85 quid, so Ive done well to get 5 years out of it!

New battery tomorrow morning - at least I wont get stuck short somewhere during the winter now!

Car is in with Valdas today for the starting issue and a couple of other little things - I'll report back!

Administrator

Popped in a new battery this morning, and she fired first turn of the key!
    Fingers crossed that there isnt an underlying issue that is draining the battery - no multi-meter to check it the old battery, but Im fairly confident it'ss shot!

Wheel bearing it the next thing on the list...hmm, might wash it tomorrow if I get a chance, then the bearing this weekend!

Turns out after all the messing that it was the battery, but to be fair it was acting strange, showing strong voltage on the multimeter but as soon as the key was turned, the amp-age dropped like a stone.

Swapped it out with a new one and it's all good - Valdas also spotted the thermostat was on the way out - Aux fan never kicked in and Engine temp was a solid 108' on the OBC - Now at a lovely 90-95'

Also changed out the oil and filter as it was probably a little burnt so it's ready for the winter ahead.

Next time I'll listen to the 10 people in a row telling me it's the battery! :-)