Thread: LPG Conversion

LPG Conversion

Hi guys,

What are people's opinions on cars that have had an LPG conversion? Car I'm interested in has one, the conversion is only a couple of years old so don't expect it to have any problems but does anybody know what kind of trouble (if any) these can bring?

Are they to be avoided? Anybody any experience with them?

Cheers,
    Ian

RE: LPG Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Ian89
    Hi guys,

What are people's opinions on cars that have had an LPG conversion? Car I'm interested in has one, the conversion is only a couple of years old so don't expect it to have any problems but does anybody know what kind of trouble (if any) these can bring?

Are they to be avoided? Anybody any experience with them?

Cheers,
    Ian
    My father's s class is on lpg, system is a few years old now and no issues so far, would be a plus point for me, cheaper to run than a diesel, and no real noticeable loss in power with the newer systems.

Shameless photo:

RE: LPG Conversion

I drove a Volvo S60 T5 running LPG for a few months It was painful going back to petrol after that! I was getting the equivalent to 40Mpg in petrol terms, whilst still having plenty of power and comfort. I do not know exactly how long my Volvo was on gas, but I do believe it to be at least 30k miles as I saw the car for sale about 3 years before I bought it (115k miles on it now and no issues at all). I still have the car and just taxed it again this month.

I cannot tell the difference between running on gas or petrol other that the car feels like it has a little more go when on petrol. But you have to be flooring it to notice. The car switches between petrol and gas itself, so it really is no hassle. I cannot understand why there are not more LPG cars on the road here.

Only down-sides I can see:

- Spare wheel well tanks tend to be small and require filling up regularly.
    - Large cylindrical tanks take up your boot. I have one of these, gets me nearly 400 miles range.
    - Filling up takes longer than petrol and the pumps tend to be located in the corner of the forecourt, so you get wet when it rains!
    - Finding cheap gas can be a pain in some parts of the country. I am lucky to live near a station which does not rip you off.
    - Re-sale value will be affected, people find it hard to sell LPG cars I notice, but that means there are some bargains out there.
    - Valve-seat wear. This will be engine dependent, some engines have suitably hard valve seats and are not greatly affected.
    - Clutter in the engine-bay and quality of the workmanship is certainly hit and miss here.