Thread: E39 manual conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E39 manual conversion

Ive a 97 528i e39 auto at the minute.i have big plans for it (m5 rear end,turbo conversion etc[WINKING FACE])but first on the list is i want to convert it to manual.now i know the mechanical side of things is straight forward and i have a complete 98 520i for all the parts.im wondering whats involved electrically.is there stuff i can just swap from the 520i or does the ecu need to be programmed etc. If so who would be up to the task of such a job?thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

E39 manual conversion

Buy a manual car,cheaper,easier and no grief

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: E39 manual conversion

It would cost thousands to get any one to the standard this one is hence why i want to convert it.mechanically its no grief because i have a complete car so just straight swap and no hunting for little niggly parts.just electrically is what im curious about as everyone just says buy a manual one.but yet manual conversions are done on other cars all the time.i know the ecu needs to be programed to think its in park and to turn off the prnd lights on the cluster.which i assume anyone decent at coding would be able to do without any hassle?so why is it such a dreaded conversion?

BMWHaus Contributor

There isn't a lot you can use from the 520.everything mechanical is diffetent I think.gearbox and prop wouldn't be strong enough if you were to fit them but might work for a while.the Speedo needs changing and all the immobileser headaches you might have..suspension will need to be done too and you should ask the experts on here.cab,valdelis and others who deals with these cars.the 528 is a nice car .

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Gearbox prop and all that is the same between them all.sure the car was originally a 520i.shouldnt be going near immobiliser etc.as ecu and ews will be the same.and the fact its an early e39 with 16pin round obd plug might make it a bit less complicated.gonna ask valdelis directly about it actually as he knows this car particularly better then anyone as hes maintained it the last 11years

[hr]
    And its on d2 coilovers so that should be all good