Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diesel e39 wanted!!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RE: Diesel e39 wanted!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alan b
    Nice black one just went up there on dd, but 193k and the lad selling it seems like a bit of a boyo by how the add is written, still worth a call id say
    A friend of mine used to own that black one. Wasn't wonderful a year ago. Both back arches were crusty, usual rust on the bootlid, and the front bumper & bonnet had a poor respray.

BMWHaus Guru

Diesel e39 wanted!!!!!!!

Just make sure you know what you're looking at, an E39 will eat money in €1k chunks.

Get it on a lift, check all the suspension bits, a suspension overhaul should be done at a this stage, if it isn't, budget 2.5k

Check the injectors, again, with the low sulphur content in modern diesel it's a function of time before these need to be rebuilt, 1.3k.

Those were my two very big ticket items

This is my old car, it's such a great car. You won't find a cleaner car.

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=6648

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Just make sure you know what you're looking at, an E39 will eat money in €1k chunks.

Get it on a lift, check all the suspension bits, a suspension overhaul should be done at a this stage, if it isn't, budget 2.5k

Check the injectors, again, with the low sulphur content in modern diesel it's a function of time before these need to be rebuilt, 1.3k.

Yeah it looks like a good car but the price is more than im willing to spend on one, thanks anyways doh.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johny14586
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave

Yeah it looks like a good car but the price is more than im willing to spend on one, thanks anyways doh.

It's actually cheap, you can't buy an E39 and get it into that condition for less, but no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Good spot dave ,didn't even look at the odometer
    Tamper dot has nothing to do with mileage though.
    Just the vin number between the cluster and the light module don't match.
    One or the other have failed and was replaced with a used one. But not coded.
    That would be the innocent option but if the clocks are changed the mileage is incorrect Afiak putting a lower mileage clock in will give a tamper dot while a higher mileage one won't

BMWHaus Contributor

No this is not correct. Nevermind that bmw document. Many are not correct.
    I do this for a living guys.
    Mileage has nothing to do with this.
    It is not a combination of mileage and vin mismatch. Vin number only.
    All I am saying is that a tamper dot only shows vin stored in cluster and lm module differs.
    Many of those light modules are faulty by now. Not uncommon to see people grabing one from a breaker and stuff it in there. Dont regard a e39 with a tamper dot as having its mileage changed, as this is not true.

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks for clearing that up man!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by alan b
    Thanks for clearing that up man!
    I will give you a messed up example, my own car.

I put a M5 cluster in my car back in what..2012.
    Mileage was adjusted according to my previous clock, so mileage was matching.
    Vin was changed to match my car. No problem.

Now I sold my M5 cluster to PhilipM5 in Cork last October/November and I put my old clock back. But I did not change the mileage, I put about 30/35k miles between the time I had the M5 clock and the original clock. So my current mileage on the car is 116.000 but the real mileage is around 150.000. I will change it but did not get the chance.

Anyway, my light module shows 800.000Km. It is a bug. Obviously mileage stored in those modules is messed up.
    No tamper dot.

But when my light module died 2-3 years ago, right after I fitted a used one, tamper dot came up. So I wrote my car vin and it went away, never to come back.

You can run a diag in my car, you will see the mileage difference. Not an issue.

Obviously when changing modules like that, you should change the mileage to match in all those modules. This is good practice really. I did not get around doing it to my own car yet :huh:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10899572

Administrator

Bad paint at some stage, front and rear doors different colours in both pictures, so its not the light.