Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Driving Tips

BMWHaus Guru

Winter Driving Tips

Hi all,

That time of year is approaching when we get one day with a dusting of snow :tounge:

Thought I'd throw up a thread when you can post your tips, ask for advice for winter driving techniques.

This will be my first winter in the e92, and first winter with an auto, so I've been reading up on it. The e36 was a blast last year, I had a perceived added advantage with the LSD and seem to make a lot more headway that the E90's in citywest when we got some snow.

First thing I've learned is in ice and snow, turning on DTC can be beneficial. I have to admit I didn't know the difference between DSC and DTC until now :hehe!:

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.
    When the drive wheels start losing traction the DSC automatically begins stabilisation measures. The Dynamic Stability Control system curbs the engine output and stops slip on the wheels. In exceptional situations, however, a small amount of wheel slip can be an advantage.

Any other tips?

RE: Winter Driving Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Any other tips?
    Park her up and work from home

I too have been giving this some thought, and everything is against me i.e. RWD / wide tyres (255s) / Auto / a 1 way (at a time) hump back bridge meaning I could end up there for hours if the flow is against me. And that's just the work commute!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Any other tips?

I too have been giving this some thought, and everything is against me i.e. RWD / wide tyres (255s) / Auto / a 1 way (at a time) hump back bridge meaning I could end up there for hours if the flow is against me. And that's just the work commute!
    Mightnt be that bad check this guy out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHppFY3whbM

Although he has thin winter tyres

BMWHaus Guru

Any other tips?

this is exactly what ill be doing parking her up and working form home tbh if we get snow not worth the risk

If it gets really bad reduce your tyre pressures by 1/3.
    Only carry what is necessary in the boot and fill up to 1/2 tank fuel.... Keeps the back end controllable/fun

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Winter Driving Tips

Not a driving technique but always keep one or two heavy blankets on the car in case you get stuck/breakdown in the snow and have to wait a while.

www.instagram.com/super4bmw

While on the sibject, anyone know if I can easily disable the headlight washers on the E92? I've a feeling I may lose 'em if the harsh frost sets in next month. Can I simply pull a fuse without affecting anything else?

BMWHaus Guru

While on the sibject, anyone know if I can easily disable the headlight washers on the E92? I've a feeling I may lose 'em if the harsh frost sets in next month. Can I simply pull a fuse without affecting anything else?
    I know you can code them out along with the seat belt helpers, mick should able to sort ya out and if you have the cable I'm sure he'll help remotely

BMWHaus Guru

Can be coded out as Ketron said that is what I done, however you could fail the NCT if not re-enbled, however I forgot last time and still passed.

I think by default they are set to spray on every 3rd screen clean, iirc that can be coded to a higher number say 5. Also quickly spraying the windscreen a few times in quick succession without triggering the screen wipe will not trigger them.

You can pull a fuse also, check the fuse box in the glove box for the card somewhere in there iirc.

I think you might also be able to disconnect the pump to them but never looked into that.

Fuse would be handy, for that and the helpers. I'll suss that out next week, as pints are the priority now