Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Bimmer ?

Which Bimmer ?

So i have my trusty 2002 520i to drive for as long as i need it and current car should be sold in the coming days.

Criteria for next car are.

- V8
    - Relatively comfy
    - Not a total pudding

The dream would be a well sorted E39 M5 (Thin on the ground atm and maintenance a ropey one would not appeal)

Leaning abit towards an E39 540i for this reason but none here so a trip to the uk would be in order and you are talking 5k atleast landed for something decent.

645ci is also a contender and seems to tick all the right boxes above plus i like the look of them but i would prefer an E60 545i msport(rare as rocking horse poo)

Car will be a daily for a year anyway, anyone have any horror stories to share on any of these or indeed positive experiences.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Which Bimmer ?

The x45i cars will suffer with burned valve stem seals that results in excessive oil,consumption along with plumes of white smoke when left idling for even a short length of time.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    The x45i cars will suffer with burned valve stem seals that results in excessive oil,consumption along with plumes of white smoke when left idling for even a short length of time.
    Yea and the timing chain guide issue also.

Would you buy one ?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

he has 2 and best ones ,why would he need 3th :hehe!:

BMWHaus Guru

Yeah, the 630i is a better option than the v8 ones in my books. Less to go wrong and not much compromise in real world useable power. M6 if I'm honest is not practical in reality, you know there's something wrong when you're wheel spinning at 95kmph on a wet morning on your daily commute! :tounge:
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Well old car(s) sold now, still kinda unsure, will drive afew cars over the next week or so and see how i get on.

There are two very nice 540i msports on gumtree in London atm but they are coming in at 7k and 8k landed respectively which is almost M5 money

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo
    Well old car(s) sold now, still kinda unsure, will drive afew cars over the next week or so and see how i get on.

There are two very nice 540i msports on gumtree in London atm but they are coming in at 7k and 8k landed respectively which is almost M5 money
    Not the most desirable e39 540i SE, but it looks like a very clean car, even the seats seem to be in very good nick.
    This is the non VANOS engine too. The M62 is quiet rock solid. Few known issues, nothing serious compared to a N62.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e39-5-series-96-04/bmw-5-series-e39-540i-------------------1998/4980085

Theres a nice 650i on donedeal for 12k! Could be worth a look if youre looking for a v8 over the 6 pot!

650!

I wouldn't be sold on the black bonnet, but Id imagine (hope) that's wrapped and not painted...

BMWHaus Guru

Which Bimmer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo
    You won't get an M5 for anywhere near that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by donnelly117
    Theres a nice 650i on donedeal for 12k! Could be worth a look if youre looking for a v8 over the 6 pot!

650!

I wouldn't be sold on the black bonnet, but Id imagine (hope) that's wrapped and not painted...
    They literally leak oil everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ended up buying a B6 S4 avant. Happy medium for me anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk