Thread: Nct question?

BMWHaus Guru

Nct question?

Does anyone know if a car equipped with run flats first day will have any issues passing the nct with normal tyres fitted instead ? Should it have a spare wheel in the boot or will a mobility kit suffice?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Nct question?

Quote Originally Posted by camnhoj
    Does anyone know if a car equipped with run flats first day will have any issues passing the nct with normal tyres fitted instead ? Should it have a spare wheel in the boot or will a mobility kit suffice?
    It will be fine with the normal tyres and will be fine with the mobility kit (I'm not sure this is even needed)

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Quote Originally Posted by camnhoj
    It will be fine with the normal tyres and will be fine with the mobility kit (I'm not sure this is even needed)
    Thanks John , I wouldn't surprise me though if it was an issue for them :huh:

Once the tyres are same size & type (Winter/Summer) on each axel they don't care.

They'll only check a spare tyre if there's one there.

BMWHaus Guru

My e60 passed on Wednesday this week with non-RFT's. Had a spacesaver in the boot but not sure if they looked at it.

BMWHaus Guru

A spare wheel is only checked if it is actually present. However there is no requirement for it as part of the NCT test itself. Nor is there a requirement for a mobility kit. I've put the 630i through twice with the non-run flats. I even put it through with German plates accidentally the last time, no issue.

Page 60 and 65 of the NCT manual cover off everything you need to know about spare wheel and NCT:

https://www.ncts.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

Page 60 NOTES:
    Examination is confined to tyres fitted to the road wheels. If, however, any defect on a tyre carried on a spare wheel is seen, the driver should be advised.

Page 65 NOTES:
    1. Defects in a spare wheel tyre should not be considered a reason for failure.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Not an issue, my Z went through no hassle, it doesnt have a mobility kit in it either...

BMWHaus Guru

Well she passed anyway !