Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E92 Winter Wheels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E92 Winter Wheels

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new set of tyres for the 335d. I'm thinking Michelin PSS, but ive read they are pretty much useless in winter when its anyway cold, along with most sport tyres.

I'm half considering getting a cheap set of alloys and sticking a set of okay winter tyres on them, then reassessing the situation come spring.

What would peoples opinions be on this? Is it worth the hassle?

I'm thinking a set of non staggered "17s with a higher profile tyre, be cheaper to get tyres for.

Something along the lines of these

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E92 Winter Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Hi all,

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new set of tyres for the 335d. I'm thinking Michelin PSS, but ive read they are pretty much useless in winter when its anyway cold, along with most sport tyres.

I'm half considering getting a cheap set of alloys and sticking a set of okay winter tyres on them, then reassessing the situation come spring.

I'm thinking a set of non staggered "17s with a higher profile tyre, be cheaper to get tyres for.

Its what I do with the f10 and on the plus side I now have a "spare" wheel now that I've got rid of the run flats :smiling:

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by camnhoj
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Hi all,

Its what I do with the f10 and on the plus side I now have a "spare" wheel now that I've got rid of the run flats :smiling:
    Hmmm if i can find a set of 17/18s with winter tyres already on them I'll be sorted! I think 17 is the smallest you can go on an e92. Extra hassle getting alloys and tyres, especially since I'm short on time with the nct coming up, one of my rfts is fecked so need a full set on the 19s if i want to do the test on them. Its a tough one! :sad:

BMWHaus Guru

I think the smallest whell you can put in a 335d is an 18 because of the size of the brakes.

I've had Pirelli Sottozero's on my e34 for 4 years and they are great. Have got great mileage out of them as well.

I was only half wondering recently if winter tyres wouldn't be a better bet all year round given how wet the country is for most of the year....

BMWHaus Contributor

Check your brakes, 18s is the smallest you can go on a 335i and I imagine the 335d has the same brake setup?

Quote Originally Posted by fraser5454
    I was only half wondering recently if winter tyres wouldn't be a better bet all year round given how wet the country is for most of the year....
    No not great above 7c , you could use all season but again your making sacrifices rather then being great in summer or winter they are just average at both

I've used Kumho I zen 27 on an E46 for the last few winters and found them quite good. There are 18" staggered.

Not sure if offsets would be correct, But I'v a set of Staggered 18" MV1... Ideal for winter wheels.

BMWHaus Guru

Same side brakes as 335i as far as I'm aware. From what I've been reading some 17s will fit, now I'm confused! :huh:

For example

Will have to find out for definite, going to have to decide what I'm doing by next weekend. If I was get winter wheels I'd ideally want them 225 all round. Must now find the offsets etc required.

Was thinking Nokian tyres, anyone ever use them? Get rave reviews in all the Scandinavian countries etc.

Another part of me is saying just get summer tyres to save hassle and take it handy, if it gets bad leave the car alone.

Thanks for the help guys.